Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What's up: Ready. Set. Create!

You can find a version of this post also at The Kindness Project.

This week I am participating in a creativity boot camp at my University.

Oh. My. Goodness.

It has been incredible.

Universities struggle to engender creativity among students, especially when so much of the educational system requires traditional tests, assessments, and the like. Yet, companies and employers say that they yearn for creative thinkers when they are trying to fill positions.

In this boot camp we've been learning about different schools of thoughts on creativity, what can help us and our students become more creative, and how to incorporate creative thinking and projects into courses and across the curriculum.

It has been so freaking fun! The folks taking part are enthusiastic, talented people creative in all kinds of different ways (not just artists of all sorts, but folks from administration, marketing, economics, mathematics, engineering, and linguistics). They are incredibly inspiring.

The leader is the talented Steven J. Tepper of Vanderbilt, who runs a center there on creativity, enterprise, and policy.

I'll give you the scoop and catch up on Ready. Set. Write! as well as What's Up Wednesday next week!

Until then, have a productive and CREATIVE week!


6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea!! I can't wait to read more about it.

    I've often thought that my daughter (a mathematician) uses the same creative processes to solve complex proofs that I do to write. I suspect there's a lot of overlap in the creative process, even if the goals of that creativity are very different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Connie-- I've been surprised and excited to see how creativity applies to different disciplines in different ways.

      Delete
  2. That camp sounds really cool! I've never done well with traditional sit-in-quiet-room-and-take-test, and I was lucky to have teachers in high school that worked with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, Jennifer-- I think it's a real gift to find teachers that are open to different kinds of learning.

      Delete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.