Monday, June 10, 2013

TAG: A Moment in Time

TAG! A moment in time…

The lovely Katy Upperman  tagged me for a WiP post that's super fun. 
Do visit Katy's blog and read her excerpt-- it's dreamy and evocative. She was tagged by Juliana Haygert, whose post is here-- it's suspenseful and intriguing.
Here's how it works!
Search for the words “moment,” “forever,” or “time,” in your work-in-progress, pick your favorite excerpt, post on your blog, and tag others!
Well, I found pretty quickly that I use the word moment a lot... whereas forever only appears ONE time in my 78,000 word WiP. Crazy, no? I opted for a passage including the word time. 
It's from my latest manuscript... a steampunk set in the Netherlands.

Ambrosius van der Spiegel could patiently cut and form components to fashion wondrous objects from springs, dials, and geared circles of all dimensions. He had come to the palace as a baby, just after his mother’s death, and had always worked at his father’s side. The Dutch created the first clockwork creatures, and over many years mastered them, forming a guild to share their secrets. Ambrosius and his father became more than masters: they shaped magic by breathing life into metal. But by this time Ambrosius was in many respects forgotten, as things from earlier eras often are. For nearly seventy-five years he had dreamed, designed, and built, all the while holding fast to his precise schedule, which one might say ran like… well, clockwork.


I'll tag Ghenet, Meredith,  Jaime, and Maryanne!

Any takers?


14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I was enthralled by this passage! So unique and creative, it was a joy to read, and I definitely want to know more about the clockwork creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, intriguing! Thanks for the mention, and for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I really like this!

    Thanks for tagging me! I'll post my excerpt ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, Ghenet-- would love to see what you're working on. :0)

      Delete
  4. This is so good! I love Ambrosius's name too. :)

    I'll try to get to my snippet sometime soon. Things are a little bit busy lately, but thanks for tagging me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime-- can't wait to see yours. Hope you can do it-- no rush!

      Delete
  5. What a great excerpt! I love the imagery you've created and the sense of mystery surrounding Ambrosius and the way he's been forgotten. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this so much! Your writing is beautiful, Kat, and this passage has something very cool and mysterious and smart about it. I'd most definitely read on! (Also, love Ambrosius's name!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy--I appreciate it. His name means "from the mirror" which I like, in an Alice in Wonderland kind of way. :0)

      Delete
  7. That was wonderful! I love these games so I can get insight into what everyone's writing. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alison. :0) I agree-- I love seeing what others are writing. We need to do that more!

      Delete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.