Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Things I'm digging right now

In no particular order...

Handwriting as computer font. A friend sent me to this site on National Handwriting Day (better known as January 23rd) to get a free font of my own handwriting.

It is ridiculous how much joy it brings me.

For the record, I don't have particularly neat or fantastic handwriting. My mother once told me "the problems" with my generation were that we had poor penmanship and didn't enunciate. But that's a different post. :0)

Back to the font-- it's really cool. A quick web search shows me there are several sources for a free chance to get your handwriting as a font. Here's one and here's another. Do it. You won't regret it.



Rembert explains the 80s. If you are a child of the 1980s you will love this feature as much as I do. Rembert Browne is a devilishly handsome 24 year old writer at Grantland (if I do say so myself). His older colleagues send him videos (music videos, clips from TV and movies) from the 1980s that he's never seen before and ask for his interpretive comments. It is hilarious.


His breakdown of the montage dance scene from Breakin' and the outdoor concert from the movie Lost Boys both had me guffawing. Don't even get me started on his assessment of the 1987 Crystal Light Aerobics Championship. 

It's nostalgia at its best.



Behold. Slate's new photo blog. What would life be like without the internet? I shudder to imagine.

I am a regular Slate reader. (Dear Prudence's columns keep me feeling good about the fact that many people are much, much crazier than the crazy people I know). Their new photo blog is MESMERIZING.

It's not just a way to learn about fascinating photographic works, it's a treasure trove of ideas and inspiration for writing. This week's feature about suitcases saved from an insane asylum had me itching to write stories for every forlorn suitcase. Indoor clouds. Magnificent chickens. Re-enacting childhood photos. Don't miss it.

Check these out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.