Saturday, January 26, 2013

Review: Blood Fugue by EJ Wesley

I ordered EJ's book a few months ago and like many, many books I've ordered recently-- left it on the kindle while holidays, life, and the flu got in the way. I finally opened it this weekend, and finished it within a day!


Here's the goodreads blurb: 

Jenny Schmidt is a young woman with old heartaches. A small town Texas girl with big city attitude, she just doesn’t fit in. Not that she has ever tried. 

Life has pummeled her heart into one big, lonely callus. She has no siblings, both parents were dead by sixteen, and her last grandparent—and caretaker—was in the ground before she turned twenty-one. She’s the last living member of her immediate family. Or so she thinks…

Suddenly, instead of burying it with the dead, Jenny is forced to confront the past. Armed only with an ancient family journal, her rifle, and an Apache tomahawk, she must save her grandfather’s life and embrace her dangerous heritage. Or be devoured by it.


This book is not YA-- I think it would be more New Adult Paranormal (correct me if you have a better moniker, EJ). 

Here's what I liked about it. 

First, EJ writes beautifully. 

The word that kept popping up in my head as I read was visceral. Stuff is going down (just trying to avoid spoilers), things are intense, but it isn't gory or overdone. It's gorgeously written. 

The action scenes are heart-pounding and dripping with suspense. 

EJ infuses the text with thick, rich descriptions, lots of mystery, and even humor (and I mean funny humor). I loved the character of Jenny-- she was tough and real, but I was rooting for her from the first second. 

My only complaint was that I wanted more!!! 

Which is a good thing for a writer, right? 

EJs next book is out Witch's Nocturne and as soon as I clear off my kindle and actual book shelves (a new year's goal for me), I will snap it up and read it, too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.