Friday, December 28, 2012

Join me for the Jan Plan


The brainchild of the lovely Christa Desir, The Jan Plan is a concerted effort to finish off a project that has been hanging over you for a while. 

 According to Christa's blog: "The Jan Plan will involve committing to finish one project. One. However you define 'finish'. Just doing what you have to do to get one project out of your unfinished knitting basket."

I love this idea because I have been wanting to dedicate some real time to writing since summer, but when school is in session, this just isn't possible for me. NaNo is never an option because it's a crazy busy time in the semester. 
When I'm teaching, I squeeze in an afternoon here, or a weekend there... but not nearly enough time to really finish a project. I do like it, though, because it gives me time to mull over plots and make cool connections within my work. In January I have a small break of a few weeks where I am working from home but the boys are in school. Perfect for the Jan Plan. 

So, what will I do for MY Jan Plan? Two things, actually. (I'm bending the rules already)

1. I need to work through my current MS, MINA TAKES THE SKY to make a few changes that I've been thinking about for months. I just want to take it up a notch, which will require at least two intense read-throughs with editing. 

AND

2. I want to re-work my first book, STUNG, the MG about a girl who collects bugs and solves mysteries, to include a graphic element. I think knowing how the insects look adds something important to the story. To me, when I describe them, I see them in my head... but not everyone knows these species the way I do. 

For example, one of the first bugs I describe is a velvet ant, which is a wingless wasp that has an extremely painful sting, but the MC finds her fascinating and beautiful. It's an important part of the book and I think the reader should "see" it, not only through words. So, I made a drawing of it. (I don't have a velvet ant in my collection any longer. This drawing was made on the program Art Studio from a photo on flickr that was taken by Hunter Desportes and is open to use, alteration, and commercial use through a creative commons license)

This book (STUNG) is something that I've all but shelved... and this will be its final gasp. 

What say you? Who will join the Jan Plan? Grab Christa's lovely badge and let me know YOUR Jan Plan. 




13 comments:

  1. I love the idea of adding images to the book. It sounds like a great premise. Definitely a book I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've joined the Jan Plan and will be finishing a short story I started this fall. I have MANY unfinished projects, but this is the one I'm going to commit to for the month. Assuming it works, maybe I'll have a Feb Plan, a Mar Plan, etc.

    I agree; I love the idea of adding images to the book. Go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay susan! Awesome! I like that idea-- Feb plan, Mar plan, etc. :0)

      Delete
  3. Ooo! I like this idea! I'm going to a conference in February and hope to have my current revision project finished by then, so this will light a fire under my little behind. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"m in.
    I need to work on a book I started a year ago, and I haven't touched. I think I've got something happening with Pitch Wars but I"m not really sure.

    Anyway I've got plenty of projects to work on this is just the push I need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a talented artist. I'm sure the drawings will add dimension to the story. Also, you can have the velvet ants from my backyard, if you want. ;)

    I have a project hanging over my head like an ax. The Jan plan sounds like a good idea to push through it. I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome Carolyn! And if you EVER find the urge to throw one of those velvet ants in a tupperware and send it my way I'd love it. :0) But they sting... so I can't recommend it.

      Delete
    2. And-- thanks so much for saying that about my art. I really appreciate it. :0)

      Delete
  6. You would appreciate this . . . on Jan 1st I spent the entire day (in the between moments of the day when the kids didn't need me) uploading all the 2012 pictures into shutterfly then ordering prints, labeling the backs (you can do that online), etc. It was a MONSTER project and something I've been meaning to do for months. DONE!!! Feels good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Nina that sounds like an awesome January accomplishment! I routinely tell myself to print up some of our digital photos-- I think this whole generation is going to regret not having MORE physical photographs later. :0) But I often FAIL to get the pics printed. I may add this idea to my long-term list... but I'm going to shoot for more like a May Plan to get it done. :0)

      Delete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.