Monday, August 20, 2012

Project Dystopia Reboot




Okay, admit it—you’ve written a dystopia.

Hey, don’t be shy. It’s cool. Between you and me, a lot of us have written a dystopia.

You may be querying it as speculative fiction or a post-apocalyptic story… and I hope that works out for you. 

Maybe you thought it was the new hot trend.

Maybe your mind was blown by MT Anderson’s Feed or a certain book about both Hunger and Games?

Maybe, like me, you were so clueless that you didn’t realize the dystopia train left the station more than two years ago.

Maybe it’s really, really good.

Maybe that doesn’t matter.

With this sad reality in mind, I offer a challenge.

PROJECT DYSTOPIA REBOOT

I beg of you, it’s just sitting there—do SOMETHING with it.

Like, I don't know... this.




No, I’m not kidding.

I am going to re-enact key scenes from my trunked dystopian THIRST week after week, even if it takes me a year.  And it's going to happen on the blog and link here, on a Tumblr. 

I will get my story out into the world through the magic of Playmobil... and I'm sure it will make me feel much, much better. 

What will you do?

Build the scenes in lego bricks?
Draw it into a graphic novel?
Have neighborhood dogs re-enact it… for bacon?
Create a shadow-puppet masterpiece?

Send me a link to what YOU do with your post-apocalyptic-speculative-fiction or other over-hyphenated-perhaps-formerly-dystopian project.

I’d love to see it!

12 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! I'm excited to see what you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, you are brilliant. I'm definitely looking forward to your reenactments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SO cool! Good for you, Kat, for not letting THIRST disappear. That will be fun.

    And you never know, the way trends work, dystopian might come back into fashion in a few years. Or you could rework it into something else futuristic. Sci fi's still hot, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, Joanne. Sci fi may be the next big thing... I'd be the last to know. :0)

      Delete
  4. I think I did hear that SF is coming back.

    I haven't written a dystopian, but I think a dystopian mobile style version is what the world needs. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that too, Eliza. I think I heard someone at writeoncon say it. YAY- so glad you like my little people. I am having fun with them. I may even convince my kids to help.

      Delete
  5. I might be the rare person who HASN'T tried her hand at dystopian (or spec fic or post-apoc). I'm a contemporary girl, so yeah... Maybe I should throw a power hungry government into my high-school-set romance? Isn't writing fun?!

    Love the Playmobil pics on Instagram... You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny- you know none of my CPs wrote a dystopia either-- I think I was the only clueless one. :0)

      Delete
  6. I never did write a dystopian, but I sure wanted to. I still want to. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still can, Connie!!! I just wouldn't put it at the top of the list for a couple of years. :0)

      Delete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.