Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Kindness Project and the I DIG READING Challenge

Well, I should be en route back from Kenya today. (YAY!)


For this month's Kindness Project I wanted to highlight the I Dig Reading Challenge.




It all began as an idea from the WhoRuBlog, who hosted a read-a-thon in December of 2010.
The idea was simple-- read as much as you could over the four day period, and pledge to donate X amount per page or book or what have you.

People were doing 5 dollars a book, 1 dollar a book. One penny a page (which could get costly if you've just started to read George R. R. Martin).

The amount doesn't even need to be publicized. You then pledge to donate to any organization you choose (again, this can be publicly shared or kept private).

I participated and loved it so much I didn't want the reading and giving to end.

I started the I Dig Reading Challenge so that I could tie my (somewhat selfish) desire to read as much as possible with something a little more selfless, like giving to others.

I keep track of how many books I read each month, and then give a monthly wrap-up that features both the books I've read and the group I'm giving to. Check out the I Dig Reading Challenge TAB above to see who I've given to since December of 2010.

I'm the kind of person who always "wants" to give to the charities or organizations that I think do good work.

But, that being said, when the end of the month comes around (or the end of the year, which is worse after holiday spending) I don't often feel I have enough money to give a "good" gift.

What I like about this challenge is that it allows me to give small amounts all year long. I don't have to wait until I can afford to send $50 or $100 (which could be never).

I think it's just as important to give not what you think is "the right amount" but at a level that works for you. One group I love sent me a plea for a giving campaign. I could only afford to send them $5.00 this year... but I know if just a tiny percentage of the humans on the planet did that... it would MEAN SOMETHING BIG.

I read for many reasons-- because I love it, because I learn as a writer from it, and also because the more I read, the more I give.

So, JOIN me! The wonderful thing about both the I Dig Reading Challenge and The Kindness Project is that anyone can participate.

Contact ME if you'd like to be added to the I Dig Reading Challenge list of participants, and/or direct me to your blog when you post about it, so I can link to it, too!

Visit these other kind souls for their musings on spreading kindness.

Sophia Chang                         Sara Larson
Erica Chapman                      Matthew MacNish
Jessica Corra                         Sara McClung
Elizabeth Davis                       Leigh Moore
Christa Desir                          Tracey Neithercott
Sarah Fine                              Katharine Owens
Claire Hennessy                     Elizabeth Poole
Elana Johnson                        Lola Sharp
Amie Kaufman                        Michele Shaw
Liza Kane                                Meagan Spooner                      
Alina Klein                               Carolina Valdez Miller





24 comments:

  1. This is a really cool project! I like when something you love is also something that helps others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaime- it makes reading even MORE fun.

      Delete
  2. WOW, I can't believe I haven't heard of this challenge!! It combines my two favorite loves: reading and giving! Thank you for the heads up!! I will definitely commit to this--I like the idea of having a monthly wrap up post to share all the books I read, too, since I kinda do that anyway! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been intrigued by the I Dig Reading Challenge for as long as you've been blogging about it. I think I'll look more closely into it as the summer winds down. It sounds like the perfect joining of reading and helping!

    Hope your trip to Africa has gone well... I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true that little tiny bits, when added together, amount to something immense. Love that image and will carry it around with me for many days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! Meshing something you love to do with giving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Very cool! I dig reading and donating! I also like giving away good books I've read. OK, that's not true. I'm selfish. I keep the ones I loved and give away the ones I was so so about... :D LOL!

    But different tastes, right? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too, LTM (always hoping others will like those so-so books more than I did).

      Delete
  7. What a super cool concept. I love this idea. I also love that there's no minimum. Sounds like a win-win to me! Wishing you the very best as you journey home! I'm going to have to read up on your Kenya experiences. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolina-- I'm still processing the Kenya experience. It was amazing.

      Delete
  8. I love this idea. Combining giving with something you love to do is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsay- I agree (and I can say that, because it wasn't even my idea!)

      Delete
  9. Kindness and I Dig Reading...two of my favorite initiatives. yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an awesome idea--everyone wins :)

    I hope Kenya was wonderful <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! What a fabulous idea combining two of my great loves. So impressed by this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alina- I wish I could take credit for it, but I'm just as happy to be spreading someone else's great idea. :0)

      Delete
  12. Wow, Kat! I just saw this because a link came into my blog! Are you still doing this? I love it. And thank you for the shout out. I am deeply honored. Can't believe I didn't know about it. Fill me in. I'd love to be involved. I read so much. And once again, I'll be hosting a #HolidayReadathon this December starting on WhoRuBlog.com and, of course, on Twitter.
    Thanks. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIZA! So glad you dropped by! Thanks to YOU for coming up with this great idea. I can't find you on twitter-- what am I doing wrong? I'd love to give you the scoop,
      Kat

      Delete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.