Friday, June 15, 2012

New BUGS from my studio

I've been working away at some prints over the past few months.

The main character of my mystery-solving-bug-collector book likes to describe the people in her life by equating them with different insects.

As I've worked on the book I've also been creating insect woodblocks of the different "characters"-- just for myself, not as artwork FOR the book.

Here are a few:


The lady she babysits for is like a Monarch Butterfly, "dressed to the nines and beautiful in a precise, but kind of distant way."
 





Her family friend Dell, an elderly man is like a Luna Moth: "Sturdy but light. Handsome but not showy."
 

The collages within the woodblocks are made of postage stamps from the 40s and 50s.


The father of the child she babysits for, Mr. Anderson, is like a Stag Beetle, "Big and showy, the male stag beetle likes to compare the size of its horn with other males."
 My etsy shop is here.

Do you use art (home made or on the web) as you ponder your characters?


15 comments:

  1. Those prints are absolutely gorgeous! I can't decide which one I like better, but I love that each represents a character for your manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carolyn... it is such great therapy to work on ART!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so beautiful! I especially love the stamps inside the butterfly and moth. Such a unique idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are sooo cool, KO! Really awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The woodcuts are gorgeous!!

    And I love the idea of a character who associates people to bugs with similar characteristics. (Can't wait to read the book!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are gorgeous! You should open an Etsy shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are gorgeous! I second the etsy shop.

    I've created sims based on my characters. It's a great excuse to game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them so much! I will definitely be stalking your Etsy shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, those are gorgeous! You're super talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are amazing - absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful! the stamps add a neat touch - are they real old stamps?? - they would be extremely valuable now, wouldn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jaime!

    Yay thanks EJ!

    Thank you COnnie- I hope that book sees the light of day!

    Thank you Ghenet- I have, the link is at the bottom of the post.

    Fun Eliza-- that sounds right up my alley.

    Thanks Jess-- I miss you! Hope you are well!!

    Thank you meredith-- art is a form of therapy for me. :0)

    Thank you Jennifer!

    Thanks Ruth!

    Hey Margo- nice to see you! They ARE real old stamps and they are NOT valuable. I have been a stamp collector since I was about 13-- and I have taken the stamps I use to collectors and to the national stamp show just to make SURE they're not valuable. I think the Audrey Hepburn movie CHARADE gave the impression to the world that there are zillions of super valuable stamps floating around. That is not the case. The stamps I use are (with permission) from the stamp collections of my dad and his brothers. They all had identical stamp albums from the 1940s/50s. I have compiled the best of each book to create one stamp album, and use the rest in my art. These days, stamps are valuable in odd ways. Stamps that represent mistakes by the postal office, or stamps attached to letters with significant or important postmarks do well. Some pristine stamps can have value. The run of the mill stamps I use are not valuable. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely beautiful! Very inspiring - isn't it fantastic to create beautiful things :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danielle- nice to "see" you! Thanks for the comments. I hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.