Monday, April 9, 2012

I dig reading challenge: March edition

I had a spring break in March, which allowed me a little extra mental health time, and that means more reading. 


I finished Whales on Stilts by MT Anderson with my middle grade book club. They loved it (and I did, too), and we even made wood cuts of scenes from the book together. (I'll post separately on that). 


I re-read the Hunger Games with my book club. It was great the second time around. I was in less of a rush, which was a good way to read it. 
Now I believe we're all signing up for an archery class this summer, which should help with my apocalypse plan (see below). 


I also read several new books:


Don't Stop Now by Julie Halpern. Loved it!


Something Strange and Deadly by the awesome Susan Dennard, in an amazing ARC tour snag. REALLY loved it. You guys have to read it so we can all discuss this one scene that BLEW MY MIND. 






Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. This book has me working on my apocalypse planning. Here's the gist: I need more canned goods. And batteries. And an alternative fuel system. And to be off the grid. And my own clean water supply. The good news is, now I know what I need to do. I just need approximately $50,000 to implement the first phase of my apocalypse plan. 






It’s Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han, which I loved, but like an idiot, I didn't realize this is the second book in the series. Now I need to back track and read The Summer I Turned Pretty. I think good contemporary must be the hardest thing to write. It's so fun to read someone who does it well.




The Bonesetter’s Daughter by Amy Tan. She does mother-daughter relationships like no other. They are always heartbreaking and uplifting. 




and, I’ve Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella. I really like her style. Her MCs are always of a similar type, but they are endearing and so fun to watch make a transition from clueless to clever. 






That's eight books. My donation this month goes to 350.org and GRIST who are doing their darndest to make sure I don't need to implement my apocalypse plan. 




7 comments:

  1. Hooray for extra mental health time!

    WHALES ON STILTS is one of the most awesome-and-intriguing titles I've seen around. Gotta check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Jenny Han's SUMMER trilogy! I do recommend you go back and read the first book before continuing on with the third. She has such an amazing way of expressing emotion... Oh, I adore those books!

    And Something Strange and Deadly... Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list. I can't wait for Susan's book. For reals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to try archery; hope you guys have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great you were able to get some mental health time and great list of read books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES to Spring Break! Glad you got so much reading done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice! you got far this month and even made time for a Reread. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.