Friday, March 9, 2012

February: I dig reading challenge



February was a short, busy, month, but I read some great books. 
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Depressing, sure, but beautifully written. I loved the Dutch parts, of course.


The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax by Arthur Conan Doyle. A classic Sherlock Holmes mystery.

The Cabinet of the Earths by Anne Nesbitt Check out my previous post for a review. Loved it.

What Alice Forgot by Lianne Moriarty. Oh my, what a great book. It's not the first book I've read about a woman hitting her head and losing ten years of her life, but it was amazing. A lovely, lovely book. 

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I'd not read this series before (or seen the movie), but love Kinsella. This book didn't disappoint. It's not my absolute fave by her, but I truly enjoyed it. She is the master of putting her characters in situations that you see coming but the MC does not. It's such a beautiful way to build suspense. 

My donation goes to Donorschoose.org, where you can pick projects thought up by American teachers to support learning, reading, or health in their classrooms. 

9 comments:

  1. TFIOS was fantastic. I loved the dinner in Amsterdam.
    What Alice Forgot sounds really good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved TFIOS too. What Alice Forgot sounds really interesting! I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I should really check out Sophie Kinsella sometime. She's one of those authors that I hear about all the time and I've seen movie(s?) based on her book(s?). I think I'll check her out on Goodreads.

    Don't you love Donorschoose.org? What a great organization:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on TFioS, loved the banter. I've pretty much said the same thing to everyone on the blogsphere. But I really did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I always love hearing about people are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TFIOS is gorgeous. Sad, certainly, but gorgeously written and with a surprising amount of humor. So glad I read it.

    And I adored Confessions of a Shopaholic. Light and funny, very entertaining. Waaay better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always to find titles and authors to put on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know, Rebecca, the down side was it made me wish I was having dinner in Amsterdam!!!

    Ghenet- What Alice Forgot was so good-- definitely check it out!

    Jaime- I think I read my first Kinsella book about a year and a half ago. Sometimes I get snooty about things that are super popular, which is dumb on my part. She's great.

    Sophia- yes, John Green is all about that nerdy-sophisticated-funny banter.

    Thanks Nina- hope you find something you enjoy.

    True Joanne, Green is a master writer-- and the funny parts are very funny. The sad parts just stomp your heart, though.

    Yay, Susan, I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My book club read "What Alice Forgot" this winter and while you're right, it's not the most original book ever, it certainly generated a lot of discussion for us. We all wrote down what we would have lost if we had lost the ten years between 30 and 40 like she did and it's a little scary when you think about it. (I didn't like how she tied it all up in neat happy endings, though).

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.