Tuesday, December 27, 2011

superlative blogfest!

I am typing this post on my new iPad (cue the squee)! Thank you, Santa!

Now, onto business... The superlative blogfest. Thanks to Alison, Tracey, Jessica, and Katy for this awesome idea.



Okay, first a confession... I have not read a lot of books published in 2011! I know! for SHAME!

I've read eighty-eight books in the last twelve months... but only a handful from this year. It makes me doubly glad to be trying out the 2012 Debut Author Challenge.

Here is my list of 2011 reads:

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Flutter by Erin Moulton
Making Waves by Tawna Fenske
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Ms Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto
Bossypants by Tina Fey (non-fiction)
The Christian Mama's Guide to Having a Baby by Erin MacPherson (non-fiction)

Screwing Up Time by C.M. Keller, which I just finished last night!


So, with this in mind... here are my picks


Tuesday, December 27: Head of the Class
Favorite Dystopian: definitely goes to Roth's Divergent
Favorite Science Fiction/Fantasy:  Daughter of Smoke and Bone, thanks to Tracey for making it a book club read.  It blew me away!
Favorite Contemporary: Before Ever After. It's a romance, a mystery, a dabble of science fiction... and a GREAT read. I highly recommend it. 

Favorite Action/Adventure: I am loving the self-pubbed Screwing up Time by CM Keller. Time traveling kids, mystery, and a touch of romance. Look for a review in the next week.

Favorite Comedy: It's billed as a romance, but Fenske's Making Waves is as funny as it is romantic. (There's also a mystery that kept me guessing).

Favorite Family Drama: The Piper's Son, no contest. Back me up, Marchetta fans..  

Favorite Genre Bender: again, a book that defies classification, the middle grade No Passengers Beyond this Point had me thinking FOR DAYS.  Is it a mystery or a contemporary? Science fiction? I can't say... but I loved it.

What about you?

Do you have some favorites from the Class of 2011? Tell me about them. I'll put them on my to be read pile!

Visit our hostesses blogs [AlisonTraceyJessica, and Katy ] to read what others loved this year.

12 comments:

  1. If I’d had to choose a dystopian published this year (ruling out my two choices of The Hunger Games and Uglies), I would have had Divergent as my choice with AtU in the sci-fi slot. I have to add The Piper's Son to my TBR pile, because I know you raved about it before. And now I will totally email you about my etsy win-- woo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Squee! I'm so thrilled to hear that you read my book! Yay!

    My favorite 2011 book that I read this year was Across the Universe. Lately I've been reading a lot of very good indie books including Golden Blood and Black Blood by Melissa Pearl and right now I'm reading Soulkeepers by GP Ching (BTW, right now it's free at Amazon.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Screwing Up Time one sounds AWESOME!!! Great list! And so glad you could participate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I tallied up my list of 2011 books read, I realized that I might need to do the 2012 debut challenge. No Passengers Beyond This Point sounds great; I'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Rebecca, what's the 2012 debut challenge? That sounds like it would be good for me, too! And, I agree with Sophia on Hunger Games and Uglies - all-time favs. I'm adding some of these others to my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I really want to read The Piper's Son, but I still haven't even read Saving Francesca. I don't know what's wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Divergent, FTW! I think we're going to see that A LOT on these lists (including most of mine and Pam's :D). You have some neat choices here, a few I'll be adding to my Goodreads list very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear so many great things about Marchetta--definitely need to start reading her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got a couple books on your list that I haven't read that I will check out. I had Divergent as my Dystopian and Daughter of Smoke & Bone as my Fantasy pick as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, THE PIPER'S SON... I love Tom!

    You've got some fantastic choices on your list, Kat. I haven't heard of SCREWING UP TIME, but I'll definitely be checking it out. Sounds very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree with what you said about Matched - I actually didn't even notice the Giver comparision; I love both books.

    And I'm like you, the budget is low lol. I won the ARC of Crossed from Elana Johnson by promoting my favorite author Maria V. Snyder all over the internet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read The Piper's Son still!! So many books I couldn't get to.

    Great list! Can't wait to see what you have up tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.