Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Superlative blogfest: popularity contest



Here is my list of 2011 reads:

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko (MG)
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Flutter by Erin Moulton (MG)
Making Waves by Tawna Fenske (Adult)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Ms Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto (Adult)
Bossypants by Tina Fey (non-fiction)
The Christian Mama's Guide to Having a Baby by Erin MacPherson (non-fiction)

Screwing Up Time by C.M. Keller, which I just finished last night!


I'll try to stick to the YA titles...
Most Likely to Become a Rock Star: Tom from The Piper's Son, if he can just stop the self-sabotage.
Mostly Likely to Start a Riot: Tris from Divergent
Fashion King and/or Queen: that would have to be the beauty queens AND the pirates from Beauty Queens
    Girl You’d Most Want For Your BFF: Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Because she kicks a**.
Boy You Wish You’d Dated in High School: Tom from the Piper's Son. I think I did date him, but later, in college. IRL, the moody artist is much less fun (especially without the personal growth).
Most Likely to Become President: Taylor Renee Krystal Hawkins of Beauty Queens. I'd vote for her. She'd get stuff DONE. 
     Quirkiest Character: I loved the little girl who floated in Miss Peregrine's Home, but all of those kids were quirky and amazing.
Villain You Love to Hate: The nemesis of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (can't remember his name/didn't want to drop a spoiler). Also, the hunter man (guy in the cabin) from Daughter of Smoke and Bone... I kept waiting for him to reappear. When he does, it will not be good. 
Favorite Parental Figure: Parents? Were there parents in these books? Given the choices, it's definitely Brimstone from Daughter of Smoke and Bone.  He's such an intimidating character, I don't think until late in the book I realized how much he cared for Karou. 
Coolest Nerds: Brian and Henry from Screwing Up Time. I loved that they were intellectually curious enough to get themselves into ALL sorts of trouble. Even Kate was nerdy in her own cool way.  
What about you? 


Do you have some favorites from the Class of 2011? Tell me about them. I'll put them on my to be read pile!

Visit our hostesses blogs [AlisonTraceyJessica, and Katy ] to read what others loved this year.

8 comments:

  1. So true! The moody artist is way less fun IRL haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor Renee Krystal Hawkins as president. Of course! I didn't think of picking a Peregrine character for quirkiest--excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seeing a lot of Brimstone for parental figure--Pam has this book, I might just have to steal it :D

    Interesting choice for the person most likely to start a riot--I didn't even think about Tris for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm starting to understand two things: 1. I need to read Piper's Son. It's been on my list but you're making it pretty clear it needs to move up on that list! And 2. I need to read Beauty Queens.

    I can't believe I didn't think of Miss Peregrine's for quirky characters. That whole house is filled with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Brimstone was my favorite parental figure too! And what is it about Tom that makes him so darn crush-worthy? Fantastic choices, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm becoming more and more intrigued by Piper's Son. I have Miss Peregrine's and it's high up on my TBR list!

    Yay for Brimstone! He was one of our parental picks too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your blogfest stuff. And Piper's Son is now in my TBR pile:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beauty Queens for Fashion Queen, I bet that was an easy choice! Brimstone's gotten quite a few votes for favourite parental figure. I think he'd like that, though he wouldn't *say* it, of course.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.