Thursday, December 29, 2011

Superlative blogfest: elements of fiction

Here is my list of 2011 reads:

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko (MG)
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Flutter by Erin Moulton (MG)
Making Waves by Tawna Fenske (Adult)
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
Ms Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
Before Ever After by Samantha Sotto (Adult)
Bossypants by Tina Fey (non-fiction)
The Christian Mama's Guide to Having a Baby by Erin MacPherson (non-fiction)

Screwing Up Time by C.M. Keller

I'll try to stick to the YA titles...

Thursday, December 29: Elements of Fiction
Most Envy-Inducing Plot (Or, the plot you wish you’d thought of yourself). It's not like what I write at all, but No Passengers Beyond this Point really kind of blew my mind. I loved the concept, and it was so perfectly executed. 

Most Wonderful World-Building, Laini Taylor made me believe in Karou's world in Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Absolutely. 

Most Formidable World (Or, the setting you most definitely would NOT want to travel to) Divergent- I'd want to be Dauntless, but I don't think I can hang.

Wanderlust-Inducing (Or, the setting you'd happily travel to) Bodiam, the Medieval Castle in Screwing up Time (though Keller does a good job of showing it wasn't very clean or comfortable, I'd still like to see it in its glory).

Loveliest Prose:  Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Taylor is a master of word choice. I geeked out over many of her descriptions and lines. 

Best First Line- I don't have actual copies of most of these... bummer. 

Most Dynamic Main Character: Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Most Jaw-Dropping Finale:   Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Best Performance in a Supporting Role: It's as much her story as his, but Aunt Georgie from The Piper's Son was incredible as a supporting role in Tom's story. 

What about you?

Do you have some favorites from the Class of 2011? Tell me about them. I'll put them on my to be read pile!


Visit our hostesses blogs [AlisonTraceyJessica, and Katy ] to read what others loved this year.

I'll be posting about the 2012 I Dig Reading Challenge on New Year's Eve (you can also get details by clicking the tab above). Check back for updates.





13 comments:

  1. I don't know why I didn't think of it at the time, but being in Dauntless would be pretty formidable. I guess they're Dauntless for a reason!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this book with the Medieval Castle sounds like my thing. I need to read that. Awesome choices :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices! Since we seem to share a love of Divergent and DoSaB, I will be sure to add No Passengers Beyond this Point to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Georgie! I adored her! Actually, I loved EVERY character from THE PIPER'S SON. Supporting characters are one of Melina Marchetta's greatest strengths, I think, and one of the reasons I love her books so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right, sophia? I need the "wimpy" faction.
    Quita, definitely check it out. I loved it.
    Cool Laurie, if you do, I'd love to hear what you think!
    I feel like if we ever meet, Katy, we'll have to spend a few hours just geeking out over Melina marchetta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you have DoSaB on your list as much as I do. I wanted to put it for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drop by our blog to pick up the "smart cookie" award.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I most definitely could NOT hang with the Dauntless. -__- On the other hand, I think I'd fit in pretty well with Amity. That's the faction I got when I took the Divergent test. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read No Passengers Beyond This Point, but I'm curious now that you've said it has the most envy-inducing plot. That, and Screwing Up Time are going on my to-read list. The Piper's Son is already on there and every day I read your superlatives I want to read that book more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen so much Daughter of Smoke and Bone today! And I'm totally intrigued by No Passengers Beyond this Point. Adding to the wish list!

    PS - I don't own many of my 2011 reads either. I kind of knew Shut Out would be mine, but I looked a whole bunch of first lines on Amazon. Saved me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read so much about Divergent, now I've got to read it.

    Re. the Middle Ages castles--I'd love to visit them in all their glory too. But only if I could wear my silk thermals under the gowns. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great choices. I don't think I could be Dauntless either!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That speaks volumes Jessica .
    Thanks blogger Girlz I will check it out.
    Krispy... Totally. Amity sounds like my speed.
    Definitely read them Tracey -- all great.
    I didn't realize I could do that Alison, doh!

    SO true Connie .
    Amen, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.