Friday, December 23, 2011

CONTEST WINNER and Review: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

I've been on a bit of a Agatha Christie binge lately. I bought a 5-book volume of her work and have loved tearing through it.


I recently read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. It's seems to be a typical Christie book featuring her sleuth Poirot.

It plays along in the usual way (big manor house, mysterious death, many clues, lots of people who could have done it, many people with motive). You, the reader, are led down several false paths until you think you've finally figured out who the murderer is.


And then, she blindsides you. In the most incredible way.

I don't want to spoil it, but I REALLY WANT TO SPOIL IT! But, I won't. I promise.

It was so great I woke my husband UP after finishing it to tell him who the murderer was (he had NO IDEA what I was talking about, of course, but he kindly grunted appreciatively at the big reveal).

If you've never read a Christie, I think this is my favorite so far... I may have to follow her lead and plan something similar in a book down the road (but it would be quite a dark book if I did). I recommend it!


Contest update: I'm tallying the votes in my contest to win a cool bug print like this one! I'm at my in-laws and things are SOOOO busy. I hope to have the results in a few hours!

CONTEST WINNER: After tallying all the entries, scrambling them in an excel sheet and using a random number generator to select the winner, I'm happy to report it is:
SOPHIA of My Fleet-Footed Self

Congrats Sophia! Contact me at insectwriter(at)gmail(dot)com and we can talk about which print you'd like. Check out what's available at my etsy shop. ANY print is available!



2 comments:

  1. I haven't read that AC title; I'll have to check it out and then send you a message, so we can squee about it together. And congratulations to Sophia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the exact same way about Murder on the Orient Express: have you read it so we can talk about spoilery details? Yay (but also guilt) at winning another of your contests! I will check out your etsy and let you know. Thanks so much, Kat.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.