Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Review: The Christian Mama's Guide to Having a Baby

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am not reading this book because I'm pregnant or plan to be.
Let's just get that out of the way. I feel extremely fortunate to have two handsome, healthy boys that fill my life with lots of fun. Right now, we're not planning to add any more kids to the crew.

I'm reading this book because it was written by blogger friend Erin MacPherson of the Christian Mama's Guide. I met Erin somehow on the web through blogs (I never remember exactly HOW) and have enjoyed watching her launch her book and post about family and life.

I read just a few books when I was pregnant... let's see if I can recall them now... hmmm... six plus years later, I'll admit it's a little difficult. I read the very popular What to Expect When You're Expecting, which my husband and I called What to Freak Out About When You're Expecting. I often felt WTEWYE erred on the side of waaaaaay too much information. Maybe in the days before the internet it would be useful to know every potential complication on a month by month basis, but post-internet, it was at times overwhelming (and downright scary).

I read Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way (at the recommendation of a sister in law who saw it on Baby Story) because I planned to use the Bradley Method. In the Netherlands, where I had both my kids, the custom is home birth without anesthesia. I wanted home birth, but I also wanted to be sure to go into it well-prepared. My husband and I got a kick out of all the "book dads" in NCtBW who invariably were featured wearing denim cut offs and no shirt. Still not sure why this is the clothing style preferred by the dads in this book. (Our best guess was that the photos seem to be from the 1980s). I can say that even after being present at two home births, my husband does not wear cut-off denim shorts. :0)

I read The Girlfriend's Guide to pregnancy, which was light and funny and most certainly balanced out the denim-short wearing dads of NCtBW and the worst-case scenario stories of WTEWYE.

What does Erin's book offer that these others didn't? Well, it's not going to be a huge surprise, because it's right in the title: Faith.

Erin's book on pregnancy answers the usual questions that ALL pregnant women have-- she covers all of that practical advice. Her section on the different types of nausea was so on target I found myself nodding my head the WHOLE time I read it.

But, she doesn't stop there. She takes this practical advice and weaves her faith throughout in a seamless and wonderful way. She describes how  you can use pregnancy as an opportunity to grow your faith, to strengthen your relationships, and solidify your family.

Of course, you may not find yourself in the market for a book on pregnancy right now, but if you're pregnant, I recommend it!

I'm glad to have read it. I've already sent it to a cousin's pregnant wife, and I will continue to give this to friends and family who are pregnant.


Don't forget to enter my contest to win a cool bug print like this one!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful book. I'm not in the market myself (my kids are aged 21 to 15), but I have friends who are. Now I have something to recommend. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the review... you're so kind!! Hope all is well... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.