Saturday, December 31, 2011

I DIG READING 2012

You may or may not have been a participant in last year's I Dig Reading Challenge. If you're unfamiliar with the concept, let me give you the scoop.

WHY? Most years I think to myself that I'd really like to donate money (not a lot, by any means, but a little here and there) to charities that I think are doing important work. Most years I go through month after month without donating anything. While I don't have a lot of extra money, I find that at the end of the month, whatever is left kind of disappears anyway... so I thought, why not make an effort to give consistently throughout the year.

The BIG idea: I love reading. I want to challenge myself to read more. Why not kill two birds with one stone, by merging reading goals with donating to my favorite charities? I read more, I give more. It's a win-win situation. It also allows me to do something "for the greater good" while I'm also doing something that I enjoy.

HOW it works: YOU make all the decisions. You decide how much you'd like to give per book, or per page. Participants have done a penny a page, a nickle a page, a dollar a book, five dollars per book, or more. It can be ANYTHING.

YOU decide where to donate. In 2011 I gave to local, international, and national organizations (sometimes with the help of Charity Navigator, which rates charities).

YOU keep track of what you read during the year and periodically (or at the end of the year) blog about your experiences.

I decided to donate monthly and blogged about it.  


Keep track of the other I Dig Reading Challenge Participants by linking to their posts and updating their work in the handy-dandy tab at the top of the page.

Over the year, I noticed people shying away from listing amounts as the challenge proceeded, and I think that might be because of a general dislike of talking about money.  In response, I stopped listing amounts myself.  Do whatever you feel comfortable with. Talking about the actual amounts is not important.

For me, it's about realizing that I can give more. If I get to read more in doing it, then all the better. 


So, join me if you like, or keep watching here for my updates if you prefer.


If you'd like to take part, here's what to do:


1. Grab a button and put it on your blog.
2. Send me an email [insectwriter (at) gmail (dot) com] so I can add you to the ALL-STARS page. 
3. Let me know when you update and I'll link to your posts in a blog and on the tab.
4. Read more.
5. Give more. 


Check the tab above to see who has already signed up for 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.