Saturday, November 5, 2011

Why you don't want to be on my team during the apocalypse

I think of myself as being pretty tough.


I have no problem picking up nonvenomous snakes and bugs. I've even held a 'gator (with its mouth tied closed, I'm not insane).

I've camped, hiked, etc.

I've stayed in grubby hotels in developing countries.

I've been to a dry toilet CONFERENCE for goodness sakes!

I've lived in multiple homes my husband has been in the process of remodeling. I've lived without hot showers, bathrooms, or a kitchen for several days during these kinds of remodel jobs.

But I will tell you now, I'm a wus.

Six days without heat, hot showers, and the ability to keep food cold, and then heat it up... and I know myself better.

Perhaps because #snowmageddon was a surprise? Maybe because when you do a remodeling job you plan it for nicer weather?

I don't know... but while my characters are tough, and regularly kick butt in apocalypse-style scenarios, I know now that I cannot hang.

I want my house to be warm and I want to eat hot food.

The only kind of cool thing about #snowmageddon was that school was cancelled (for both myself and the kids). After a day or two of totally FREAKING OUT about work obligations, I was able to relax and we had a lot of fun together.

Besides reading, playing outside, and gathering food from the wild (I made that last one up), we had a blast creating linoleum prints.

I will post some soon.


It was already that time of the year when the school calendar gets a little nutty, so you may not hear from me much in the coming weeks -- I will schedule some posts, but may not be visiting many blogs.

I will return though, I promise!

8 comments:

  1. Hey there. Discovered your blog via http://dailydramaofanaspiringwriter.blogspot.com

    My family lives in northeastern CT, so I've been getting tons of reports on the lovely snow there. I don't know if I could survive the apocalypse either. I guess push coming to shove, I would, but that doesn't mean I'd be very happy about it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dry toilet conference??? Wacky, dude! :P And linoleum prints -- no idea what those are, but they sound cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, enjoyed this post. Thanks for the smiles! Um yeah, your conference...very interesting. ;o) I think I'm a bit of a wus too--love my modern conveniences!! Love the photo too. Now I want that for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't worry about it too much-- when the apocalypse comes I'll probably be the first one on the to-eat list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The secret to staying on top in the apocalypse is to stockpile lots of books on survival techniques and then offer advice in return for perks like protection and hot food. Just don't let on you're getting it from books, or they'll take your stash and then they don't need you.

    Unless things degenerate so quickly that no one knows how to read, except teachers. Then you're totally on my team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, fun post. I have no idea how I would react during an apocalypse. I think it depends what kind of apocalypse it was!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I was hoping you really did gather food from the wild! That would be cool.

    So so sorry to hear about all your woes during Snowmageddon. Glad you finally got your power back.

    I'm right there with you in the wuss department. Recently stayed at a motel in a tiny town in central PA where the bathroom was down the hall, and I freaked out. And that was nothing compared to what you've been through!

    Hey, my hubby keeps insisting that all the planets will be in alignment on Dec 21, 2012, and there will be natural disasters galore, so we may just find out what an apocalypse is like. (I insist nothing's going to happen!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No power... that's like saying no life.

    Yeah I sort of hope I'm bitten right way during the Zombie apocalypse

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.