Tuesday, November 8, 2011

October's I Dig Reading Challenge


Just a quick update for the I Dig Reading Challenge in October.

Check out Joanne Fritz' update-- she reads a ton of books and has donated to some amazing causes.

I read eleven books in October, here they are in no particular order:

Elliott and the Goblin War by Jennifer Neilsen, a fun middle-grade romp. 

The Calder Game by Blue Balliett: LOVE her puzzle-filled middle grade books. Definitely check her out. 

Erebus: An edge-of-your-seat thriller BETA by Holly Dodson

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. Dudes. Why didn't you tell me this book would rip my heart out and stomp all over it?

All of a Kind Family by Sydney Taylor a lovely old-school book about a family living in NYC in the early 1900s. 

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson.  This was a re-read. I love what she did with this book (succeeding in getting DDT banned in the US) , and I love her writing. She writes about a serious topic (the impact of pesticides in America), and does it so, so beautifully:


"There was once a town in the heart of America where all life seemed to live in harmony with its surroundings. The town lay in the midst of a checkerboard of prosperous farms, with fields of grain and hillsides of orchards where, in spring, white clouds of bloom drifted above the green fields... Then a strange blight crept over the area and everything began to change." 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. If it weren't for the book club I may have missed this one. To make up for missing the Book Club (again), I will write a whole post for this book. INCREDIBLE. That's all I can say here.

The Missing Person’s League by Frank Bonham. This was the book from my teen years that I recently found again. Every bit as amazing as I remembered.  Isn't it wonderful when a book is like an old friend?


Hate List by Jennifer Brown. A book that is about so much more than what the cover indicates. A deeply moving and gripping story, told with a lot of compassion. 


The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things by Carolyn Mackler. Also about a lot more than you'd think (I love when a book surprises me!)


Ms Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This author has the best name ever. (He could be a spy with that name.) What a delightfully creepy book. Those found photos really elevated the story, and I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more books that integrate images with text but not quite to the level of the graphic novel. 


And once again I'm donating to Gilead Community Services for their annual fundraiser. Unfortunately it was postponed due to #snowmageddon, but I'm looking forward to it being rescheduled soon. 





6 comments:

  1. Good lord, you've been busy! My reading in October/November so far has been pitiful because a few other things have swamped me, but I'm still on track for about 60 books for the year. I'm going to be making two big donations to two charities--I've picked one (and I'll post in December), and I'm still narrowing down candidates for the other. This was such a great initiative--thank you again for coming up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the checkerboard of farms imagery. I can't wait to read your DOSAB post-- Laini Taylor worked literary magic once again. I don't know anyone else who's read Hate List; didn't the book have such a great premise? It's one of the few books I read early in the year that I still remember well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my G, I loved The Chocolate War back when I read it a couple of years ago, too. It's that awesome.

    And all those YA books you read? I'm DYING to read them, too. Hopefully my library hurries up and gets those books, because I'm too broke a teen to get them from the bookstore :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I'm glad you're back among the powered and internet-ready. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think blogger ate my comment...

    That's some serious reading, Kat! Silent Spring? Wow!

    I'm deep into Daughter of Smoke and Bone and loving it.

    Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it too late to join? I just found this and I really want to participate. Maybe you'll do it as well in 2012?!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.