Monday, November 14, 2011

Middle Grade Book Club

As you may recall, I'm hosting a middle-grade book club with my son's elementary school. My sons are in the Pre-K and 1st grade, but the book club is for 4th and 5th graders.

Our first book is Rick Roirdan's The 39 Clues.

Many of you made great suggestions for our pick. I worked with the school's administration to whittle that list down. Some of the suggested books were already taken by the other book clubs running at school, or by teachers as their read-aloud books.

We settled on The 39 Clues because we liked that it was a series that the kids could continue in the future.

I have to say, it is SO MUCH FUN. The kids are great: bright, funny, and sweet. It's really casual. We read aloud during our meetings and have a snack, and then we decide as a group how much we'll read for the next week (and invariably almost half the kids do not read that far and we pick it back up where we were reading it aloud from the week before).

I've also been reading it with my first grader and we're really enjoying it. I think what I like the most is seeing what cracks him up in the book. It's hilarious.

Also, I love the concept of these interwoven stories by a host of writers. All the puzzles and clues are also fun, smart, and mind-bending in the best way.

Have you read this series?

What did you think about it?

9 comments:

  1. I have never read the series, though I did have the opportunity to get a free backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started reading the series when it first came out, but the wait between the books became a bit much. So I decided to wait until they were all published and then read them all at once. Time to look them up again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! Great adventures with a taste of history. My students in NZ have really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read the series, but DUDE, it's Rick Riordan.

    I will read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read up to number...I don't remember. I need to catch up. I thought the series was pretty interesting, but 39 clues? Maybe they should have gone with like, twelve? Or fifteen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. KO, you're so right -- that's a killer pick for a book club! Rick Riordan should totally suck the kids in for the rest of the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love book clubs. Interesting that my daughter has not been able to get into the 39 CLUES thing. I keep pushing, but it isn't really her bag. She loved Percy Jackson though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia- I totally need to see this 39 clues backpack!

    Connie- sounds like a smart plan.

    Cool, Carrie! I do like the real information about historical figures.

    Funny Rida. Yeah, he's the man. He doesn't write all of these, just some, but still, it was his idea and he apparently mapped out the plot points for the entire series.

    Carolyn- LOL. Yes, I know what you mean. Couldn't it have been 27 clues? It's daunting.

    Thanks Yahong. I hope they keep reading after we're done. I'm thinking about donating the rest of the series to the school library so they can keep reading.

    It's funny what they do and don't get into, isn't it? I'm also reading it aloud with my older son who LOVES it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter LOVED that series, but then it kind of fizzled for her once she hit 7th grade and you know, discovered Sarah Dessen. :)

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.