Thursday, November 17, 2011

Book Club Slacker

Have you seen the movie Kicking and Screaming?

Not the one with Will Ferrell. (Nothing against WF, I love him, I'm just talking about the other one).

This is the one by Noah Baumbach, who wrote The Squid and The Whale and many other awesome movies.

Well, if you haven't seen it, there's this one moment where Chet (played by Eric Stoltz), the local over-educated barkeep and Otis (Carlos Jacott), the hilarious but infantile member of the group of friends decide to start a book club. Anyway, it becomes clear pretty quickly at the first meeting that Otis is pretending to have read the book.

Such. A great. Scene.

Anyway-- my point-- and I am getting to it, is that I'm kinda feeling like I'm that member of the Book Club.

The first month, the book was checked out of the library and I didn't get it in time. This month, I was planning to post a little late and then #snowmageddon hit.

I know. These excuses sound lame even to me.

It's like that I time I had to call the representative of TIAA-Cref and tell her I couldn't make our appointment to discuss my retirement account because my cat had an eye infection and the veterinarian said I had to bring him in IMMEDIATELY.

And even though that was TRUE, I still sound like one of my students.

I am trying, though, and I'm hoping that I will not get kicked out of the book club.

I caught up, and read both Ransom Rigg's Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone.

Here are the briefest of reviews: I enjoyed Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. The photos made the book oh-so-compelling. I enjoyed the imagination of the story and the cool world-building. I adored the characters. I want to see more books with integrated images/old photos.

All that being said, Daughter of Smoke and Bone blew me away. It transported me into another world. I didn't see a single twist or turn coming, and yet every plot point was perfectly believable. Most of all, I LOVED Taylor's precision of words. She has a special gift for language. At moments reading the book I almost kind of drooled over her words (and I realize this sentence does nothing to display a special talent I may or may not have with words. Sorry. I'm still a little awed). They were magical.

Many times lately I've read a book that is a part of a series, and while I've enjoyed the experience, I've thought: I'm not necessarily going to rush out to buy when the next one comes out. Maybe I'm being stingy with my reading time. Maybe I'm feeling the fatigue of so many three-book deals. That was not the case with this book. I will keep reading Laini Taylor.

8 comments:

  1. I kind of feel the same way with trilogies. There are just so many. The first book has to absolutely blow me away to make me want to pick up the sequels (and sadly not many of them do). I have Daughter of Smoke and Bone next in my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the second review I've read today about Laini Taylor. Must go read that! Where's my Kindle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read Ms Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children yet but I DID finally read DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE! YAY! I completely and totally agree. I'm in love with Laini Taylor's language and the gorgeous world she's created. Such mastery, such control. I have terrible writer envy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I should really admit this on the internet, but I once wrote a very substantial paper on Conrad's HEART OF DARKNESS at university, and got a high distinction... and still haven't read it. I do intend to read it one day, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a nudge about series too. I held out for a LONG time before I read the second two HGames books. Yeah, I'm that much of a nudge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I'm not the only one feeling the fatigue of three book deals. And no worries on the book club thing. I really want to do this month, but I don't see it happening.

    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all these comments-
    meredith- can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    I know Carolyn- I just downloaded the version for the computer... it's not as convenient, but I love the immediacy of ordering/reading right away.

    So true Joanne- SO much control and beautiful use of language.

    Amie- best. story. ever.

    Christa- I liked the first HG a lot more than the others... if that helps at all. The movies may come out first.

    Thanks Alison-happy thanksgiving to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have added these two and Before Ever After to my reading list - thanks for the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.