Wednesday, October 12, 2011

30 Pitches, 30 Days: A great idea


I'm late to the party, but Sophia of My Fleet-Footed Self is hosting a fab blog fest this month.

The idea: come up with 30 pitches in 30 days.

Here is Sophia's original post, but she includes a few follow-ups with tips on writing more fleshed-out pitches that are also worth reading.

I spent about 40 minutes last night agonizing over new book ideas and nearly gave up, then decided to think WAAAAAY out of the box.

When I sat down today, I came up with 39 ideas of books including picture books, non-fiction chapter books, and of course the requisite YA and MG that I love so.

These ideas are now ensconced on the good ole excel file where I put all my ideas. I let them sit. I percolate. I give them a little space. Then I check back periodically to see whether I think they're a great idea or completely nuts.


If you're in a rut, or even if you're not, give it a whirl this month.

6 comments:

  1. Firstly, that's a fantastic idea--it sounds like when you took the limitations off and started thinking in every category, your imagination really took over.

    Secondly, aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I have been offline and I missed your news! Of all the times! Oh, I'm running in circle and over the moon (yes, at once, don't ask) and I just couldn't be happier! Now hurry up and sell as fast as you can, so I can buy your book! I'm so, SO delighted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, you caught up and then some. Congrats on thinking outside the box, and glad to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thirty pitches??? 3-0??? Really? I can't imagine, but what a fascinating idea. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blogfest sounds wicked interesting. I'll have to take a closer look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you joined us!! I hope you share a couple at some point. 39, wow!!! I'm struggling with the courage to share mine... most of them feel kind of hokey at this point, but I agree, if we let them sit for a bit and then come back to them, we'll be a better judge of their potential of our ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amie- thank you! I really appreciate it. I have not been blog-reading like i should recently. I need to drop by for a visit!

    Thanks Sophia- who knows, they may all seem dumb in retrospect, but I like thinking of new things.

    Christa- two ideas were for non-fiction series about the environment for kids... comprised of several books each. Some of the ideas are probably terrible, too.

    Check it out Alicia- I am really happy I joined already.

    Margo- I feel the same way. Many of mine also feel hokey, and I probably risk embarrassment by sharing... but what's the worst thing that could happen?

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.