Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Fives with Paper Hangover

Time for another post!


This week, the folks of Paper Hangover ask:



It's not easy... but here are the top five , make that four, picks:
No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
When You Reach Me Rebecca Stead


and after staring at my list (below) for a full five minutes, I can't pick ONE more from it. 
There are too many that are excellent. 




Here's what I read from May until August:
Gathering Blue and The Messenger by Lois Lowry
A Clash of Kings by George R. R.  Martin
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Divergent by Veronica Roth

Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams
The Half Life of Planets by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin
School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari
Closed for the Season by Mary Downing Hahn
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
On Writing by Stephen King
The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle
A Wind at the Door by Madeline L’Engle
Phoenix Rising (Beta) by Alicia Gregoire
No System At All (Beta) by Erinn Manack
Happily Never After (Beta) by Holly Dodson
Pederwick’s 1: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy Jeanne Birdsall
Jenna and Jonah’s Fauxmance by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin
The Book of Time Guillaume Prevost
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane
and The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo
The Exile Diana Gabaldon
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Aaron and Ahmed, Jay Cantor and James Romberger
Shug Jenny Han
Leviathan Scott Westerfeld
Flutter Erin Moulton




And you? What are your five fave reads from this summer?


16 comments:

  1. Wow, you read a lot of books this summer! I've seen Divergent on a few lists now, I better get on the ball and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time choosing too (read A LOT of books this summer). Ender's Game--definitely awesome, and Jellicoe Road is on my list of need-to-read books still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lot of books!! And I thought that I was a voracious reader. My hat's off to you.

    Right now I'm in the middle of The Game of Thrones, which I'm enjoying a lot more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Goodness you read A LOT of books! WOW. I see some on your list that I might check out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome list. You read a lot. I think I'd have a hard time picking if I'd read this many books. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are making me feel weird about reading so much.
    I knew I was a nerd, but I didn't think I was THAT MUCH of a nerd.

    Is this evidence that I don't have a life?

    Summer allows me more time to read, and several of these are read alouds with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you really beta mine, Erinn's, and Holly's back to back? WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list, Kat. I read about 30 books in that same time period, so I'm close. Of course, a lot of them are ARCs of books that aren't out yet. Does that count?

    It's really hard to pick, but here are my top five:

    NAME OF THE STAR by Maureen Johnson
    EVERYBODY SEES THE ANTS by A.S. King
    THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett
    THE FOX INHERITANCE by Mary Pearson
    THE CENTAUR'S DAUGHTER by Ellen Jensen Abbott

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for Jellicoe Road! I haven't read your other top choices, but I'll certainly add them to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read too many blow-my-socks-off awesome books lately. The one I keep touting is Paper Towns, as well as Uglies. The Bell Jar was pretty beautifully written, but it didn't have as much plot to make it really *everyone should read this now*. Oh, actually, Raymond Carver's short stories Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? made me appreciate a different style of writing and want to write some literary shorts, so that can go on the list too.

    I guess four really good books ain't not bad for a summer. If I throw in a reread, Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones, I can even make five! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alicia--I did you and Erinn pretty close together, and Holly later. I love beta-ing, though.

    Pam- you were kind of, you know, finishing a masters degree in that time period! Much more impressive!

    Joanne- ARCs definitely count! Some of those sound really intriguing.

    Though we say it all the time, you're right, JR is the bomb Katy.

    Sophia- great list. I've read PT and Uglies, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you have some really fine books on that list! I have been reading a variety of books, but not regularly. Right now I am in the middle of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Highly rec'd it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The book thief is great, isn't it Susan? I want to read his other book, too. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a LOT of wonderful books! Looks like you had an amazing summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Samantha-- just ordered YOUR book, so it looks like more wonderful reading on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.