Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Fives with Paper Hangover: Banned Books



A fantastic topic, and if you've read the ALA's list of frequently challenged books, it's hard to not find a book you love.

How are we still challenging books like Brave New World, Huck Finn, and Of Mice and Men? It blows my mind. I thought we were waaaay past that as a society.

It also makes me realize that people can't be reading some of these books, because if they actually read them from cover to cover, they would understand the topic in context, and context is simply everything.

What are my top five?

1. Go Ask Alice An exceptional cautionary tale. (Though I was sad to learn it was fiction, not a diary as originally purported.)

2. Brave New World I haven't read this book since my junior year of high school (1991, people) and I still think about it pretty often.

3. To Kill a Mockingbird. Breaks my heart, and the film is just as good as the book.

4. A Prayer for Owen Meany One of my favorites of all time.

5. There are not enough numbers on my list, because I'm having trouble picking from The Outsiders, What My Mother Doesn't Know, Speak, Crank, and The Handmaid's Tale, but it's going to the ultimate classic Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret.


And if you haven't seen it, check out this article on teenage brains from National Geographic. Very interesting!

10 comments:

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books. And it's one of the few examples where the movie is every bit as good as the book. (Time to rent it again.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh... You know how much the banning irritates me. I don't get why people are still so closed-minded on these things. You've listed some great books here--each have their own merit. I didn't know that Go Ask Alice was fiction though! I thought that was legit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Kill a Mockingbird is genius. I think I'd have enjoyed it even more if it wasn't part of our English course last year, though :|

    And Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret is pure amazing, too. I've been able to relate to it since I first read it at like, age 12.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Kill a Mockingbird was hands-down the best novel I read last year. I've still not seen the movie. I feel like I've been living under a rock for the past *** years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great choices. Isn't it ridiculous how many books have been banned? I'm on the fence about if my very precocious 9yo can read Mockingbird yet. She's close...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exactly Connie, Gregory Peck is so dreamy in that movie, and the kid actors are exceptional.

    Me too Alicia, until I read it on wikipedia. Why do you destroy my dreams, wikipedia?

    Awesome rida- both winners, for sure.

    Colin- the movie is SO good. Really. Check it out.

    Ahh, Christa, it's a tough one. If she's mature... but it's a sad story to get to know. So much history and culture to unpack within that story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD is my all-time favorite book, and totally agree re: the film being just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Prayer for Owen Meany was the most surprising books (and a movie of another name) I had read. I am glad to see this on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my friend's daughters is reading Owen Meany right now and loves it! I may have to read that now since I know it's banned

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post. Thanks.
    www.rebeccabany.com

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.