Thursday, September 1, 2011

For the holiday weekend: I Dig Reading Challenge, August

What a great month of reading! I read eleven books. 


When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
The Book of Time by Guillaume Prevost
The Tale of Desperaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Shug by Jenny Han


Happily Never After (Beta) by Holly Dodson


Aaron and Ahmed by Jay Cantor and James Romberger
The Exile by Diana Gabaldon
and Flutter by Erin Moulton



If you forced me to pick ONE of these as a favorite, it would probably be When You Reach Me, because it kept me thinking for days after... but please don't make me pick. There were so many good ones. 

I read The Book of Time, and the two Kate DiCamillo books with my boys and we enjoyed them so. The Book of Time was probably pitched too old for my kids, but my older son liked it, and the premise, of a time-traveling kid, was super cool. Kate DiCamillo's books were perfect my my kids' ages, and we loved reading them together.  

I picked up the two graphic novels at the Borders sale and they were quick and interesting reads. I'm a huge Gabaldon fan, so I enjoyed The Exile, but it's also hard to "see" a book's characters who you think you know. Almost like when they cast the film and you have to adjust. 
Aaron and Ahmed was a cool concept, but I wanted the author to push it a little farther. It was an interesting build up, but I wasn't satisfied with the ending. That being said-- it's about terrorism and the creation of jihadists, and I like a good sweet story. This was obviously not going to end that way. 

Beauty Queens was a relentless, witty satire that never stopped making fun of corporate America and our culture. Bray did not let convention hold her back. This would make a great movie. 

I thought Shug would be a light MG read, but it had much more depth than I realized-- there was so much going on there, and you might not pick that up from the cover description. It was great. 

I'm basically the last person to read Leviathan on the planet so you probably already know it rocks. It sets the bar for funky, creative, conceptually solid steam punk. 

Flutter was a heart-pounding MG adventure story. I LOVED the way Moulton pulled in themes of nature and the outdoors. The sisters in this book were sweet, but also realistic siblings. Their adventurous were truly riveting, and there was a little mystery/magic woven in that was lovely. 

My donation for August, based on the number of books read, will be to a Juvenile Diabetes Walk that a friend is participating in. 

What's your favorite book of your recent reads? Have you read any of these? What did you think?
  

9 comments:

  1. When You Reach Me and Beauty Queens are sitting in my living room, waiting for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be Super Mom, because I have no idea how you're able to do all that reading, work, and look after those two cutie-pie boys!

    Looks like you read lots of winners. I've been wanting to read SHUG because I love Jenny Han's SUMMER series. Glad to know that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read and loved most of these books. I highly recommend Rebecca Stead's first book FIRST LIGHT. It was lovely.
    And Libba Bray is made of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the cover of Shug looks so cute. I must add that to my list. I really haven't read any of these yet except Desperaux. Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of books in one month! Good for you, Kat. I've read most of these and would have to agree with you about WHEN YOU REACH ME. I adored that book. I was so glad it won the Newbery that year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicia-- when you reach me is MADE for you-- Madeleine L'Engle references abound!

    That's so funny Katy- I remembered that you liked the summer series, and that's why I'd heard her name (and why I grabbed the book)! I think the reason I was able to read so much was b/c the graphics were SHORT. Like, a few hours to read. And I tried to read to the kids for 1 hour most nights in August (because usually we don't manage that).

    Ooh, Christa- I hadn't heard of it-- will check it out.

    Angie- Shug was really great! I recommend it!

    Great minds Joanne! :0) I loved the feel of When you reach me. Just a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *picks jaw off floor* Wow! Those are some amazing books you've got there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you enjoyed Leviathan! ;) And there are so many books on your list that I really need to read. Thanks for the recs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Samantha!

    Jess- it was great! Thanks so much for giving it away!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.