Monday, September 12, 2011

Book clubbin'

I feel kind of fortunate to be wallowing in book-club goodness right now.

I am joining Tracey Neithercott's Fall book club (You should, too! Click on the orange box on the left hand sidebar.)

AND I've been working with my local elementary school all summer to develop a middle grade book club!



Our neighborhood school is amazing!

Here are just some of the ways it rocks the casbah:


  • Though this community has had many issues in the past, we have been one of our state's fastest improving schools for the last several years. 

  • We have wonderfully dedicated staff and faculty. When our summer school programming was cancelled this year due to budget cuts, parents and teachers volunteered to lead a half-day summer program just to keep our kids' minds sharp over the break. 

  • There are monthly assemblies attended by most of the community, where they give out awards to kids for being good citizens of the school. At the assemblies they sing their school song, Knowledge is Power, and I tear up every time. 

  • Free books! They never miss an opportunity to provide free books to the kids at our school. 


It's a wonderful school. So, I knew that if I was able to volunteer this year, I'd like it to be through a middle grade book club.

We're setting up the program right now and I am bursting at the seams.

I hope I don't frighten the children with my excitement for reading!

Here's where I need YOUR help.


What good middle grade books have you read recently, that you would recommend for a group of 4th and 5th graders? This is a mixed group of both boys and girls.

12 comments:

  1. Well, if it was just girls I would totally recommend Lindsey Leavitt's PRINCESS FOR HIRE series. They are so fun, and something I totally would have loved to have found in the library at that age. How about Levithian by Scott Westerfeld? It's like, upper MG (if that exists?!) and would appeal to boys and girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I have lots of MG suggestions!!

    FABLEHAVEN
    THE WIZARD OF DARK STREET
    GREGOR THE OVERLANDER
    THE SISTERS GRIMM
    THE PENDERWICKS
    THE LIGHTNING THIEF
    MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY
    THE BOOK OF THREE

    Oh jeez, I could keep going, but maybe that's a good start?? :D

    And this is so awesome of you and your neighborhood school!! Yay for MG book clubs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My students LOVE the Artemis Fowl series, by Eoin Colfer. It has a great website, too. Non-readers ate these books up, and went on to other similar books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! So many fantastic suggestions. Thanks so much ladies! They're going on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely the Artemis Fowl books for reluctant readers. (I love them too.)

    Also the Septimus Heap books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riordon's Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles are GREAT for middle grade readers. Also, the 39 Clues series seems like it fits.

    I'm so happy for you, btw :) You keep doing great things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, by the way...I forgot to mention that I am tagging you! Please go to my site to see what is being asked. I look forward to the ten random things you will reveal about yourself! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your neighborhood school sounds amazing! I don't read a lot of middle grade, but I'm about to dive into Lisa Schroeder's IT'S RAINING CUPCAKES. The cover is adorable and it sounds like lots of fun. I'm also reading LITTLE HOUSE IN THE BIG WOODS with my daughter right now. I think it's considered more a "chapter book" than middle grade, but it's incredibly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm back :-)

    I was thinking about it last night, and I can't believe I forgot to mention The Emerald Tablet (first of the Forgotten Worlds Trilogy) by PJ Hoover!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the name of this book is a secret
    Manaic Magee
    Tuck Everlasting
    Holes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions! Can't wait to share them with my group!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Jacob Wonderbar by Nathan B.

    I wish I could do book clubs. Too many people have kicked me out of them because evidently, I am a tad opinionated. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.