Wednesday, September 21, 2011

BIG news

I have an agent, the lovely Amanda Lewis of Doe Coover agency!!

The story is long, but here goes. :0)

I wrote my MG STUNG (about a girl who loves bugs and solves mysteries) almost two years ago. I've been re-working it ever since. I spent some time this spring rewriting it and sent it out to a few agents. But honestly, I'd decided to trunk it after that, because I feared (as my first book), that maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Two agents liked it, but both suggested it was neither firmly MG or YA (it was YA at the time). I pondered what to do about it, and then struck out to write THIRST. I finished THIRST, got feedback from my lovely critique partners, and started querying it.

I was sure that THIRST, a dystopian, would be a winner... but that was because I didn't realize that dystopians sold really well... 2 years ago! THIRST, a YA about a post-climate-shift world wasn't unique enough. I had several requests for partial and full manuscripts, but I didn't have a lot of hope for it.

Cue the freak out.

I was angry with myself for using time to write THIRST when I could have been writing something else. I tried to be open-minded about it: to consider what I learned in writing THIRST as a benefit, no matter what the outcome.

But that is so difficult. We toil over a project because we want it to see the light of day.

So I turned again to STUNG, and thought the smartest move would be to take the feedback I'd been given to  rework it into a MG book. I finished it and sent it to one of my fantastic crit partners.

At about that time, an agent held a contest where you could submit your query and she would tell you the truth about it. I entered  a new query of STUNG, hoping for feedback. She requested pages.

I quickly sent it out to two other agents who I thought were a great match for the book, and my work in general. Three agents.

...and that's when I got "the call".

I can say that I feel, without a doubt, that I've found the right agent for my work.

I went to meet Amanda this week, and spent several hours talking with her, getting to know her, and discussing working styles, books, and many other topics.

It was fantastic, and I couldn't be happier.

I'd like to thank the Academy... but really, it would not have happened without Erinn Manack, Holly Dodson, Alicia Gregoire, Marquita Hockaday, Pam Harris, and Maryanne Fantalis, my excellent crit partners + the Weekend of Awesome crew.

36 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you. I hope you are celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So happy for you, Kat! I've been hoping that you'd have some good news to share soon, and sure enough... Congratulations! Here's to a long, happy relationship with your new agent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY CROW, KAT! I AM GRINNING SO BIG AS I TYPE THIS!!!

    CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS. You deserve this. YOU REALLY deserve this, and I am SO FREAKING HAPPY FOR YOU! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!

    You have cleared hurdle #1, and now you're onto subs. This is the best news EVER to start my day with (and I'm sure even better news for starting YOUR day). <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! That is so exciting! Your post about finding an agent the other day was so thought provoking, and now you have one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, KO, that's so awesome, congratulations! Couldn't be happier for you, and can't wait to follow the rest of your journey to publication. Big hugs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoo hoo!!! So exciting! And, it gives me hope because I've been plugging away on the same story for almost 2 years :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! Katharine!! This is AMAZING news!! I am so, so happy for you! Hard work definitely pays off. A million congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so, so, so proud of you and insanely happy for you. Congrats, hon--you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is wonderful news. Congratulations. So exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. KATTTTTT! CONGRATULATIONS! It's sooo awesome that your call came, and so amazing that we're getting some more killer MG! :D :D :D You kept believing and writing and writing, and you've gotten this far -- so eager to see what happens next for you, Kat! (I'm sure it's full of amazing. <3)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO happy for you, Kat!!! <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, KO!! That's fantastic news :) I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, congratulations! You give us all hope!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys- no fair, you're making me cry at work!!
    Thanks so much for all of these kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! I've only just discovered your blog, but I'm still so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats!!! I'm so happy for you! You deserve it and I can't wait to see what your future brings! :) GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  18. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so incredibly for you! I hope this next chapter of your writing life is fill with many more all-caps, exclamation-pointed surprises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats, KO! It's been so long since I dropped by--and I'm glad I could pop in some great news!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Huge congratulations, Katharine!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great story! It's so cool that it happened all together like that. Very exciting! :D Congrats to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't believe I missed this earlier this week, but YAY!! I think I've gushed enough about how proud I am of you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOOHOO!!!!! That is awesome!!!!! So happy for you and can't wait to see your book on the shelves :) You are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Rowenna, Emy, Krispy, Pam and Carrie!!! I appreciate all of these kind words. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOOT! congratulations, and good on you for not giving up and keeping on going, great news :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh KO ~ wow. HUGE congrats. i loved reading your story on here and am beaming for you all the way from Australia.

    massive CONGRATS!

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found your blog via Tracey and wanted to say congrats!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks so much Danielle!

    thanks NOMES- I appreciate it! I feel your beam all the way from over there. :0)

    Thanks Ghenet!

    I appreciate it Eliza. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been on a blogging break so I missed your happy news! Congrats! I'm thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! Sorry I am late in congratulating you. Oh, I am really so happy for you. You truly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.