Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance


Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance, by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin

Tiny synopsis: Heartthrobs Charlie and Fielding  play Jenna and Jonah on TV. They are the stars of a hit tween TV series about neighbor-rockstars who have fallen in love. Off screen, Charlie and Fielding have been dating for years-- to the delight of their many fans. The paparazzi fill tabloids with the pair vacationing in Tahiti, visiting the farmer's market, and enjoying romantic dinners.

Here's the problem: they hate each other. Their off-screen romance began as a publicity stunt but has taken over their lives. When they are forced to spend time alone together, they find themselves getting to know each other for real. Maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

I loved this book, which I won in Alicia's Brendan Halpin fest!

I must admit, I can be a little bit of a doubter when it comes to Hollywood romances. Who doesn't enjoy the party game of trying to figure out which big-name couples are real, and which are merely going through the motions as a career move?

Everyone does this, right?

So, the premise hooked me right away.

The book delivered, but in unexpected ways. Yes, there was insider Hollywood fun, like the stars bemoaning the contracts and clauses that kept them on such tight leashes. But there was so much more.

The romance between the two characters was real, multi-layered, and interesting to watch unfold. They are after all, very mature in some ways, and totally typical kids in others. The fact that they are actors, and the way they use those skills to shield themselves from real emotions and opening up to each other kept me guessing whether they would ever make a deep connection.

Loved it! I highly recommend it.

And the house.... oh, the house where they're forced into hiding had me salivating. Does this place exist? It was the most luscious setting. Loved it.

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I loved the whole multi level of playing characters in a sitcom and real life and a play. Very Shakespeare. It was so fun and funny and kept me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie- you are SO right! The multiple levels is very Shakespeare, and meshes perfectly with the Shakespeare subplot.

    Alicia-- I truly did! I loved it. Thanks for the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't hurt that Brendan is such an awesome guy either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool premise for a book...I am so in. It reminds me a tiny bit of Meg Cabot's TEEN IDOL which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read that Christa- but Meg Cabot is great.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.