Monday, July 25, 2011

Update on reading

Just thinking this week about the books I've read so far this year. It has been a good couple of months.


If you're watching (not saying that you should), you may have noticed that I haven't updated my I Dig Reading challenge for June. In the spirit of  a laid back summer, I will post the details on that at the end of July. 


Now, on to what I've read this year: 


January through May
Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
Masterpiece by Elise Broach
Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Matched by Ally Condie
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
If I Stay by Gayle Foreman
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
In the Dead of Night by John Marsden
Satisfaction Guaranteed by Lucy Monroe
Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie
Happily Never After (Beta) by Holly Dodson
What my Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonya Sones
Wake by Lisa McMann
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A Killing Frost by John Marsden
Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie
The Time Machine by HG Wells
Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough and Michael Braungart (non fiction). 
Mockingbird by Daisy Whitney
The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade 
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta
A Load of Old Ball Crunchers: Women in History by Jo Brand
Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Messenger by Lois Lowry
A Clash of Kings by George R. R.  Martin
No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko
Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
Divergent by Veronica Roth




June and July

Beatle Meets Destiny by Gabrielle Williams
The Half Life of Planets by Brendan Halpin and Emily Franklin
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
School of Fear by Gitty Daneshvari
Closed for the Season by Mary Downing Hahn
Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
On Writing by Stephen King
The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle
A Wind at the Door by Madeline L’Engle
Phoenix Rising (Beta) by Alicia Gregoire
No System At All (Beta) by Erinn Manack
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The books I made my husband read as soon as I finished:
Ender's Game
Divergent
Jellicoe Road



Best underrated series:
Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden. I dare you to check it out.

The Middle Grade book I'm still thinking about:
No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko

Best classic:
Sorry Agatha, you were just barely beaten by HG Wells' Time Machine. It's tiny and powerful.  

So- what are some of your favorite reads of the year?

Leave me suggestions in the comments!!

10 comments:

  1. Whoa! That's a lot of books so far! Color me impressed. I'm being a slacker this year for sure. I'm at less than half your number. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper Towns comes to mind since it's a recent read and I took copious notes of the 'oh my gosh, that is so deep and/or beautiful' variety. Followed by Uglies and The Hunger Games for the pace and the high concept. Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind was entertaining and well-written and made me want to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of these are MG books Meredith, which are a fast read, also some of the older ones are surprisingly short (Madeline L'Engle for example). I also read outside when my kids are playing on the swings or in the kiddie pool. #slackermomalert

    Sophia-- great suggestions. John Green is beyond solid. I actually have Westerfeld's Leviathan on my nightstand and need to read it. I read Pretties, but not Uglies yet (what am I waiting for??) I've not heard of Rothfuss-- I'll definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have read some really great books so far this year. Some of those are still on my list to be read. I think I need to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love some of the books on your list. The ones I haven't read, I need to look up. I haven't read much MG lately, but I want to--starting with No Passengers Beyond this Point. Although it sounds like a book that will have me in tears.

    The best book I've read recently is Stolen by Lucy Christopher, but I also liked the We'll Always Have Summer series. Of course I cried during that book, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool Regina!

    Tracey- NPBTP is a doozy! I loved it. I have not read We'll always have summer. I will check it out! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm SO jealous that you got to read so many books this year! I need to play serious catch up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Duuude…WOW. *picks jaw off floor* You've been busy! What incredible reads! SUPER JEALOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow well done, and a great list too! Also, can I just say - Yay for John Marsden!! I think my highlight this year was Jane Eyre. I can't believe it took me so long to read it, I adored it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm giving away some YA and one MG (Homeschool Liberation League--just for you!) on my blog right now. I just read BOY TOY and loved it passionately.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.