Monday, June 6, 2011

Weekend of Awesome, was all that and MORE

I couldn’t be more thrilled to meet up with Erinn, Alicia, and the dynamic duo of Pam and Quita for Weekend of Awesome in Hilton Head. 

The brain child of Erinn, Alicia, and Holly (I think), we planned months ago to get together, and spend a weekend writing. 

To encapsulate this weekend into only five favorite things is tough-- we did so much!

But, here goes:

1. Meeting the people behind the blogs. My husband teases me by calling my blog friends "pretend friends" and now I can say with confidence that these ladies are REAL friends.

2. The crit circle. Erinn organized us into small groups to read and comment on a problem scene and to have a general 10 page critique of a work in progress. It was fantastic to get some insight and feedback, AND to read everyone's stuff. 

3. The Room. Oh my goodness, this is one disaster of a movie (called the Citizen Kane of flops). As Erinn rightly said, The Room is a gift.  Not only were we rolling on the floor with laughter, it ALSO proved that no matter what rough spot we may be dealing with in a WIP, it will never be as bad as The Room. I snorted water through my nose TWICE. I couldn't find a moment to have a sip of water that didn't cause this reaction.

4. Workshopping our elevator pitches. There is nothing like having a group of willing listeners to bounce ideas off of.

5. Writing time. We packed a ton of it into a short period of time. That was a treat in itself. 

There was more than that-- the cookies, the food, the laughter, the writing resources, the mock pitch session, discussion our favorite scenes... I could go on and on. 

It was truly awesome, and I was thrilled to be a part of it!!

16 comments:

  1. What fun! I could hear the laughter. Blogging is a fantastic avenue to meeting others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these WOA posts this morning, but it makes me doubly sad that I wasn't there. :P lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's, well ... awesome! Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh...good times. :) Can't wait to do it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a fabulous time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the shout outs! I loved every minute of WOA!!!

    It was awesome...amazing.. superdupercool

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness--I'm so envious! Sounds like you girls had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto the comments from the fellow WOA'ers! It was full of so much awesomeness I don't think we can even sum it up. Isn't it neat how we all included meeting each other IRL and getting new friends as one of the top 5? Imagine what it would have been like if we hated each other--I'm glad we meshed so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! I'm always wanting to meet my blog friends in person. If you ever make it down to Disney World, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool is it that most of our top 5 is the same? We didn't even plan that out! (How cool would it be if we could do a winter meet up!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like such a fun time--and very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm soooo jealous! Sounds like an AMAZING weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for all these nice comments. It was a really fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome, KO! So glad you guys had a good time together and only a teensy tiny bit jealous.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.