I couldn’t be more thrilled to meet up with Erinn, Alicia, and the dynamic duo of Pam and Quita for Weekend of Awesome in Hilton Head.
The brain child of Erinn, Alicia, and Holly (I think), we planned months ago to get together, and spend a weekend writing.
To encapsulate this weekend into only five favorite things is tough-- we did so much!
But, here goes:
1. Meeting the people behind the blogs. My husband teases me by calling my blog friends "pretend friends" and now I can say with confidence that these ladies are REAL friends.
2. The crit circle. Erinn organized us into small groups to read and comment on a problem scene and to have a general 10 page critique of a work in progress. It was fantastic to get some insight and feedback, AND to read everyone's stuff.
3. The Room. Oh my goodness, this is one disaster of a movie (called the Citizen Kane of flops). As Erinn rightly said, The Room is a gift. Not only were we rolling on the floor with laughter, it ALSO proved that no matter what rough spot we may be dealing with in a WIP, it will never be as bad as The Room. I snorted water through my nose TWICE. I couldn't find a moment to have a sip of water that didn't cause this reaction.
4. Workshopping our elevator pitches. There is nothing like having a group of willing listeners to bounce ideas off of.
5. Writing time. We packed a ton of it into a short period of time. That was a treat in itself.
There was more than that-- the cookies, the food, the laughter, the writing resources, the mock pitch session, discussion our favorite scenes... I could go on and on.
It was truly awesome, and I was thrilled to be a part of it!!