Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RTW

Another RTW and I'm thrilled to see this question back in the rotation:

What's the best book you read in June?

June was a good reading month for me, as they're all turning out to be.

I read the following books:

Beatle meets Destiny- fun and sweet romance with lots of twists.

The Half Life of Planets- stellar book about Hank, who has Asperger's and Liana, who doesn't realize it.

You can win a copy of this book, signed by one of the co-authors, Brendan Halpin, by visiting this post (ends July 4th).
Open internationally!


School of Fear- about a group of middle-graders trying to overcome their fears at an unconventional school. I was a little biased, because the first character (pov of the first chapter) passionately hated bugs. I caught myself saying "Noooo!" so many times as I read the first chapter.

I was able to put my bug-loving aside and make my way through it. The tone is somehow both wacky and snarky- I can't explain it any other way.

Closed for the Season- a lovely little MG mystery that I am digging right now. I should finish by tomorrow, and it is beyond charming. Likely because the MC's best friend reminds me a lot of the character of Dill from To Kill a Mockingbird. It's not a copycat, I don't mean that, but the author really captures that sort of nerdy, weird, Southern kid perfectly. Take it from a weird, nerdy Southerner.

These books were all excellent, but unfortunately I read them the same month as Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road, which is now on my top ten for all time, let alone this month.

My favorite book for June is Jellicoe Road.


You can read my reviews of Beatle Meets Destiny and Jellicoe Road, here.

You can read a mini-description of Half Life of Planets here.

And don't forget to sign up to win it yourself!,


I'm postponing character and Information until tomorrow. If you missed Motivation, read it here.

24 comments:

  1. I wasn't sold on Jellicoe Road from the back cover description, but you are like, the fifth person who has said it's the favourite book of all time. I think it's time I pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lo. Reading the back cover blurb, and well something about the over all art work, made me pass it up at the bookshop. Since then I keep hearing great things, so I guess this one goes on my TBR pile as well.... I need more hours and days in the month now LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Jellicoe Road. Now I'm really curious about The Half Life of Planets - I've been looking for books about Asperger's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone is talking about Jellicoe Road, but I haven't hit the need to read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Lo Marilyn and Alicia, to be honest, I bought it, tried to start it, and then let it sit by my bedside forever. By the time I picked it up again, it had been so long I had to start it over.

    For me, it was worth it. I'd love to hear what you think if you check it out!

    Kristin- I hope you are able to enter the contest-- the Half Life is SO GOOD>

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jellicoe Road is so incredibly good! It is one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it's hard (impossible, really) to compete with Jellicoe Road!

    (And LOL to having to overcome the character's dislike of bugs!)

    That sounds like an awesome reading month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Jellicoe Road. It broke my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love, love, love Jellicoe Road! I found it a little tough at the start as well, but then I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading her Finnikin of the Rock right now--mainly because Jellicoe Road was recommended to me but the library had a ginormous waiting list. Finnikin was the consolation prize and it's pretty good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You highlighted some great books, here! I do keep hearing a lot about Jellicoe Road as everyone pointed out, might have to give in and add it to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are a great bunch of suggestions (esp for my MG-reading dude) but I agree...Jellicoe Road FTW. I reviewed it recently on my blog and said the same thing - I started it more than once, and it took a while to get into it, but oh, how I loved it in the end. Truly, a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are a great bunch of suggestions (esp for my MG-reading dude) but I agree...Jellicoe Road FTW. I reviewed it recently on my blog and said the same thing - I started it more than once, and it took a while to get into it, but oh, how I loved it in the end. Truly, a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I love JELLICOE ROAD with an intensity that borders on embarrassing, so I'm totally on board with your choice! I intend to read anything Melina Marchetta has written or writes in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All these sound fascinating, but The Half Life of Planets sounds the most intriguing.

    Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay Kaitlin, so true.

    Sarah, I know-- poor books, being up against JR.

    So true Stephanie- I read the end at an airport, and I was BAWLING, despite being in public.

    So true Carrie- why is it so tough to get into?

    Angelica- I've heard mixed reviews on Finnikin, I think probably because the genre is so different to what she normally writes.

    Quita-- one of us! one of us! (It's starting to sound like a cult,huh?)

    Yes Dana, and I hope your guy liked the other books!

    Katy-- me too, me too. Borders on embarrassing really expresses it perfectly.

    Oh, good Alison-- It's a really good book. Such a cool take on relationships and romance. Definitely enter to win it from me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter and I both loved School of Fear. I love your books bc they are so perfect for my girl. She loved Turtle Summer per your reco.

    ReplyDelete
  18. After reading your post and all the comments, I am now convinced I NEED to read Jellicoe Road! *makes a mad dash to the bookstore*

    ReplyDelete
  19. jellicoe road <3

    (looks like you had an awesome book month though :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christa- have you guys read Masterpiece or The evolution of Calpurnia Tate? Both really good and totally about bugs (though a 2nd grader I lent Calpurnia to couldn't get into it. Too old for her I think.)

    Samantha- you won't regret it! (I'm pretty sure)

    It's a pleaser, huh Jennifer.

    And NOMES! You are the reason I found Jellicoe Rd in the first place! YAY for Aussie lit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, your blog appearance changed while I was on holiday! I love it!

    I keep hearing amazing things about Jellicoe Road, and it's a disgrace that I haven't read it, as the author's a local. Consider me on it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't believe it Amie! You should check it out! Hope your holiday was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These books sound like some good reads. :-)

    I'll have to keep my eyes out for them.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.