Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Dig Reading Challenge-- May update and RTW!

 RTW at the end of this post!

My update is a little late for May.




Weekend of Awesome kept me jumping, then my parents and niece came in for a week long visit.


This has meant I've been off the interwebs and barely squeezing in time to work on my book.




I read seven lovely books in May


Gathering Blue and Messenger by Lois Lowry


A Clash of Kings by George R. R.  Martin


No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko


Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz


Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson, and 


Divergent by Veronica Roth


What an excellent month in reading!! 


Don't ask me to pick a favorite, because I'm not sure I can. They were all a pleasure to read. 


By my rules, that would mean $35.00 to my charity of choice this month. 


I wanted to do something a little different this month. 


My son's school has a program where you can purchase a new book for their library, so I donated A Cod's Tale by Mark Kurlansky.


I also wanted to donate to Operation Paperback, which I heard about through the lovely Abby Stevens. I went to our Friends of the Library Book Sale and bought several bags of  used books.


Then I shipped them off!  




Now from YA Highway, Road Trip Number 83

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. Hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:

You're re-reading one of your favs when someone asks the dreaded question: "What's that book about?" Give us your best off-the-cuff blurb of any book, any genre, and have your readers try to guess the title in the comments!




Anne had a chance, but she blew it. Years ago she met the love of her life, but she let her snobby friends and family talk her out of his proposal. Now she’s practically an old maid, and guess who is back in town? Now, he’s a wealthy and decorated naval hero, but he hasn’t forgiven Anne’s snub. Did Anne miss her one opportunity for love? 

Can you guess what book I'm pitching in the comments?

Go to the YA Highway to see all the pitches.  
 
Enter my contest to win Writing Great Books for Young Adults: Everything You Need to Know, from Crafting the Idea to Landing a Publishing Deal.




22 comments:

  1. Wow, you read some fantastic books in May! And can I just say, I love how you connect your reading with charity--such a great idea. I might just have to start doing something like that.

    Sadly, I have no idea what book you're pitching. It's clearly adult fiction (which explains why I'm unfamiliar with it!), and I'll be checking back later to see the other guesses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm torn...I know which book you're talking about, but don't want to ruin the fun for others...I will add hints instead...the author is dead and is (arguably) one of the best writers of all time...I've read that she pretty much invented inner monologue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's see...PBS did a long series about it, right? Red-haired heroine?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great list!!! I can't figure out this book for the life of me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I was totally stumped but I think Karen might have tipped me off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe! I know what book you're describing!

    Hint: Author definitely dead. Also definitely British. Yes. That's all the hints from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Katy- it's not too late to join my challenge, or of course do something of your own. It makes me feel like I'm "doing something" when I read, which I like.

    Jennifer, we have talked about this one before, so I'm sure you know it!

    Alicia- think old school.

    Karen, sounds like you're thinking Anne of Green Gables. Not the right one, though I LOVE those books and movies.

    It's a classic Marilyn, if that helps.

    Lauren- Karen was wrong, unfortunately. Think farther back and across the pond.

    Totally Bailey! Dead and British, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm embarrassed that I didn't pick up on what you're blurbbing. It involves Prince Edward Island though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess the name Anne is throwing everyone off?

    This is Persuasion, by Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, see. I never read Persuasion. Fail, Alicia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I haven't read it either, but the pitch is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have never guessed either - even though the blurb was so intriguing. I'm thinking I need to read this one!

    And yes - awesome books for May! I read Wintergirls and Divergent as well. :)

    Love what you're doing with books, PS. I think you've inspired a few of us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! I haven't read Persuasion. I guess I should... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good pitch example--I kept names out of mine because I thought it would give away too much. The fact that you included a name seemed to be a red herring for some folks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pitch! Unfortunately I have no idea what the story is.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, I loved Wintergirls and Divergent! Great books this month!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pitch. Stirred cobwebs in my brain. I read Persuasion ages ago...

    ReplyDelete
  18. check it out Alicia.

    thanks Stephanie- it's a great book.

    Thanks Alison- it's not too late to join in!

    No pressure Sarah, but it is a good one.

    Totally Angelica- and I didn't realize it would be.

    Persuasion, Lora.

    Yes Sarah, TOTAL swoon.

    Thanks Jessica! Great ones, huh?

    funny Beck- it has been a while for me, too. I had to look it up on the web to jog my memory for the pitch.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So many good books, my I Dig Reading Challenge has me at roughly $200 for the year so far. And I love your book...Persuasion is the unsung hero of Jane Austen. And the BBC version...so good.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.