Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What you do for you


Welcome to our 79th Road Trip Wednesday!

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.




This Week's Topic:
How do you reward yourself when you meet your writing goals? Answer for big goals (i.e. I will buy a Lear jet when I get published) and/or small goals (I eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's in one sitting when I finish each chapter).



I will keep this short and sweet-- because I'm pretty boring in this category.


I don't reward myself over the small goals-- not explicitly, at least. 


Another way of looking at is is to say I reward myself all the time, by having a glass of wine at the end of the day, by taking a walk with the dogs, by spending time reading, by taking a long bath...


When I get published, I will definitely do something nice for myself, but that all depends on the details. I'd hate to put a Lear Jet on my wish list, only to be disappointed when the money falls short. 


I don't want to connect the accomplishment of that goal with an "item" that may be costly or unrealistic. Because, seriously, just accomplishing that goal is something to squeal about!


Not to mention, a Lear Jet is really not my scene. 


I have a long list of things I'd like to do "if": 


I'd love to be able to visit my family more.

I'd like to take a quiet vacation with just my husband and boys. 


I'd love to be able to afford only hormone-free organic meat at the grocery store. 


I'd like to buy slightly better wine than what I buy now. 


I'd love to spend a day in a bookstore and not be counting costs the whole time. 


I'd really love to trade in the $800 car we bought off of Craig's List for something that needs less gas and is more reliable. 


... so it looks like I could do this forever, huh?


I think the take-home message is that I will do something special for myself when I sell my first book. 


What that turns out to be, well, that's a question for another day. 


Check out the Highway to see what everyone else does to reward themselves!

















28 comments:

  1. I like to dance in the kitchen. But then, that isn't expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get enough with that first contract for all those things...and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you on a better, more fuel-efficient car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your answer! When I think of how I'd reward myself for something big, all I can think is I'd be happy to make some little upgrades :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep. It's the little things that make all the difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that it's the little things that reward the best. The sense of satisfaction of a job well done is very powerful, and when a major milestone is met, the reward doesn't have to be huge, as long as it's special for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have explicit, pre-planned rewards either! And yes, the little things are great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'd love to be able to afford only hormone-free organic meat at the grocery store." I'm so with you on this one. And the slightly better wine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't really reward myself for small accomplishments either, since I treat myself all the time, too. :)

    And I love the idea of buying healthy food - I always say if I ever become a millionaire, I'll never shop at Wal-Mart again. I'd love to be able to eat organic apples and not sweat the fact they're like $2 a pop. As of now, we only buy organic milk because that's all that's really affordable for us. ;(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with you on the food. I live across the street from a Whole Foods (not as good of an idea as it sounds--I think I spend my paycheck there each month) so I usually get organic meat and eggs, but I'd love to buy directly from some of the farms in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really celebrate the small stuff and I don't want to plan how I'd celebrate getting published because like you said, it depends on the kind of deal you get. I wouldn't want to say something like 'I'll put down a deposit on an apartment' or 'I'll go to the States' and then be *disappointed* by my pub deal, that'd be insane.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My rewards? They change so frequently...right now, I am happy with a good cup of coffee. But that could change any minute now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Doing something special - and really different - sounds perfect. When the time comes, I hope your reward will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll join the chorus that would like to be able to afford the organics. :\

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you---the small rewards are just everyday things to make sure I'm staying happy while writing.

    And the BIG prize, at the end of it all... who knows! I like your idea of not limiting yourself. Any of the thingsyou listed would be fantastic. (how about organicmeat AND good wine? yum!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great goals--more about the satisfaction of doing something good for your family and yourself than about any object. There's something to be said for not dreaming so big ($$$) that you end up disappointed when you reach your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I like this. A lot. Need to think of rewards. Sometimes we forget how important they are.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice, long baths are definitely a treat--just never have time to do it as much as I want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think small-get-them-all-the-time rewards are awesome. Great thinking!

    ps. I'm giving away blog awards and you're on the list! Come stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, we should definitely celebrate the completion of the goal itself and we should appreciate the small things too. I don't usually have a pre-planned reward either, but if I happen to REALLY want something, it can be act as a good incentive if I pair it with a goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your rewards sound lovely. Hope you achieve them all.

    I think I need to write a whole lot more first! These picture books I've been writing for years aren't selling (*sigh*). And the novel needs too much revision... Starting a new novel now.

    Actually, I reward myself already. If I write at least a few hundred words I can go visit my favorite blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have some wonderful ideas here on how to celebrate completing the goal, especially focusing on the non-tangibles such as taking pleasure in the fact that you did meet your goals and all the steps along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree that the reward is in achieving the goal itself and I'm like that too, but - there definitely needs to be some sort of celebration to "special"-ize it. Doesn't have to be big, just something. You deserve it. We all do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think before I finished my first complete draft, I thought it would be a huger milestone. We went out for a nice dinner (a rarity, I pretty much cook ever meal at home), but then I realized it just meant that now the REAL work of rewriting starts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think a Lear jet would just stress me out, actually. I'd much prefer a car with windows that don't get stuck down on rainy days :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really miss my nightly glasses of wine sometimes. ;) But working full time, I find even one drink on weeknights makes me tired the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'd like to buy endless books without worrying about the cost the way I have to now. That would be the best...

    I love your list. I am so there. :P

    ReplyDelete
  28. thanks for all these great comments guys!
    Looks like when I go to buy my hormone free organic meat and take a trip to the bookstore, I will have lots of company!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.