Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: Divergent

People- there is a reason the buzz is so strong about this book.

Here's what you should know in easy bulleted form:

  • the concept behind the book is original and fascinating. As a politics nerd the idea of dividing the world into factions, and designating certain factions with certain tasks based on their strengths is so interesting to me. In fact at several points while I was reading I thought, how cool would it be to teach a politics class based on analyzing the goals of societies in dystopian novels?  I'll have to see if I can do that at some point in the future. 

  • the characters are three dimensional, and you find yourself on the edge of your seat waiting to see what they'll do next.  I have a major lit crush on Four now. I've convinced myself he's the modern Rochester. Brooding, complex, yet still fully swoon worthy. Unlike Rochester Four does not have an insane wife that's going to appear later (I'm pretty sure). 

  • the ACTION is out of this world. I've never felt so transported to the middle of a fight, to the sensation of jumping off a building, or what have you. Roth's writing was seamless-- I didn't feel like I was reading about it, I felt like I was there.

Read it-- it's a great book!

And an update on the faction-of-the-week Challenge at Deb Driza's blog.

Last week was Candor. Honesty. Truth. I brought the truth, and I'm proud that I did. Sometimes it is exactly what's needed.

This week is Erudite, which I guess means I need to get busy on my research. I'll report my results on Friday. Happy short week!

16 comments:

  1. I've been on the fence with this one! (Like, whether I should read it or not). I've been pretty disappointed with several 'buzz' books lately, but this was a great review! I'll give it a shot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, there's a definite buzz on for this one. Makes me want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your point form points :)

    i love books that make you feel like you are there.

    i haven't read this yet but have seen it around. i'll have to let you know what i think when i get around to it :)

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I highly recommend for EVERYONE to pick up this book. I don't think they'll be disappointed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was SUCH a great book. I'm actually sad I gave my ARC away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read a few negative reviews on this book, so I'm not sure if I really want to read it--I'll probably pick it up once the library gets it, though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished this one over the weekend, and while I had my reservations, it turned out to be a very enjoyable read! Totally agree with you that the characters are interesting and nuanced and Veronica Roth has very readable writing. The action scenes were seamless. I still have hang-ups about the world-building/dystopian set-up and the plausibility of such, but it was interesting and I still think the book is worth the read.

    Oh and <3 Four!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only heard good things about this book. Adding it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for your Candor week! Divergent was definitely an amazing book. I'm just finishing up listening to the audiobook for the second time, and it's still incredible, awesome, unputdownable, and just about every cool adjective to describe it. It's definitely inspired me to write with intensity and to focus on detail and description. Looking forward to Erudite week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lo- everyone's tastes are different, of course, but I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of how I felt after the first HG, before I got all moody about it.

    I really loved it JL- worth picking up if you're into dystopia

    Cool Nomes- I always love to see what you think about books!

    Amen Pam.

    Alicia- ARC! NO! I planned to give my copy away on the blog when I finished, but now I want to keep it.

    Golden Eagle- you know your tastes best-- it's all so personal. I'd love to hear what you think when you do read it.

    Krispy- I hear you. I had no problem suspending disbelief, but that can be personal-- what resonates with us.

    I'd love to hear what you think Carrie!

    Cool Lora - yay for Erudite!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read this one! Thanks for the discussion points. Your future class sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you know how much I loved this one, Kat! So glad to hear you're enthusiastic about it too.

    I tell customers it's BETTER than Hunger Games and sometimes they give me a look, but they always buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I loved Divergent too. I read it in two days. And Veronica Roth is a true sweet heart!

    I'm SOO excited for Erudite week. I think, all things considered, I'd belong most to the Erudite faction. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wahoo!! And those of us in Chicago will get to see Veronica at the Printer's Row Book Fair this Saturday. Hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carrie- do, and let me know what you think. One of the perks of being at a small University is we get to teach fun classes pretty often.

    Yay Joanne- I am in agreement all the way.

    Sarah- I can't pin myself into one, but I'm more Abnegation and Erudite than anything else.

    Woot Christa-- sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds unbelievably cool! Going to check it out for sure. The political stuff was probably my favorite aspect of the Hunger Games, btw.

    EJ

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.