Friday, May 20, 2011
Divergent faction of the week post is below!
On to the friday fives: what are the five things I can't live without when writing or revising.
1. The internet. Though this is a slippery slope. If you can avoid the call of the FB/Twitter/Blog world, it's a great place to quickly fill in gaps in research. I recently searched "nocturnal desert animals" and thought- boy am I lucky this didn't require a trip to the library!
2. Water. I drink it all day-- it is my constant companion.
3. My office. I don't need it to be quiet (it never is), but I feel most productive in the enclave of my little home office. It is truly the only place in my house where I can put something down, and find it in the same place the next day.
4. My journal/workbook/plotting book. It's a quick reference at my fingertips for character descriptions, quirks and plot details.
5. The internet. That's right. It's so important, I'm putting it on here twice. My tendency is to "wing it". But this week I realized that's not enough. I can't do this on my own. A part of that is needing the support of my writer friends, and a part of that is the ease with which we can find info on craft right here on the web. Need a primer on worldbuilding: it's there. Want to tighten up your pacing: it's there, too. That and about a million other things we need to know about improving our craft.