Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday Fives: Dear Abby

Paper Hangover has another Friday Five for us this week!


FIVE pieces of useful advice you have received as an aspiring writer. Either in quotes, blog posts, websites or communities.


'Cause I'm a total nerd, I just looked in my file labeled "advice" to find things I've saved when I've seen them on the web.


These are very practical-- more tips than advice, but here goes.


1. Synopsis writing from Susan Dennard. Concise. Clear. Worth it.


2. Newbie writer No-Nos from Georgia McBride.


3. From Tawna Fenske, wonderful advice on blogging (gems like: make your online photos/names consistent so people know who you are!).


4. Log line pitches or how to tweet your novel from Edittorrent.


5. And finally, that classic of inspiration: a list of iconic authors who were rejected. It's not strictly advice, but it encourages me when I see Gertrude Stein submitted poems for 22 years before having one accepted, or that Alex Haley wrote every day for eight years before finding success.
The advice: Keep Writing. 


What useful advice have you received as a writer?


Visit the Hangover and check out everyone's posts!


Oh, and don't forget to enter my contest to win Hannah Moskowitz's Invincible Summer-- open internationally!

21 comments:

  1. Ok...how cute is it that you have a folder labeled "advice"? That is something I will borrow from you now. And these are great pieces of advice-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great bits of advice! And I totally love that you keep a folder for it -- I should do that too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the links! And I always find it reassuring that many prominent authors were once rejected, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Useful advice? Get a critique partner. That one was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great links. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I swear to God I've pasted/typed this quote so many times this week (what's up with that, anyways?) but it bears repeating. Don't be a writer. Be writing. -William Faulkner.
    Old school BICHOKTAM.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I don't know why it never occurred to me to create an "advice" folder or tab. That's so smart (and organized)!

    Thanks for links. Will def. check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you keep folders. Do you have a label-maker too?

    I repurposed all of my old folders and "redwells" and "banker's boxes" from when I was a lawyer.

    Here's the big question: Do you separate your M&Ms by color before you eat them? :)

    This is a great post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping a folder is such a great idea!! And thanks for the super links. It's really nice of you to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great advice, and way to be organized -- I'm totally impressed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Marquita and Holly- it's fun to have that study handy when you're ready for it.

    Pam- totally. It brightens those frustrating days.

    So true Angela!

    Anytime Alicia!

    Absolutely Sophia! Bichoktam!

    Great, Krispy!

    Funny maryanne!- no, I pour the M&Ms into my mouth! I don't have a labelmaker but i would TOTALLY be into that. These are all virtual.

    I hope you enjoy Kittie!

    thanks Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great links! I love reading about great writers getting rejected. Always makes me feel better (that doesn't make me evil, does it?).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I especially liked the synopsis writing link - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie- I hope not, b/c I love those too.

    Mummazappa- cool! It was SO helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! (And I'm not justsayin' that because I'm on it--though THANKS FOR MENTIONING ME! SHUCKS!)

    Thanks for compiling it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, nothing wrong with an 'advice' folder! Mine's even got sub-folders...

    Great links, and I agree, the last piece is the best of all... keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all such great advice -- I'm definitely clicking on all the links. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the great links! I can't wait to read them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the links. I think I'll bookmark them all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay Amie- nerds of the world, unite!

    thanks Emy- hope you enjoy them. They're super useful.

    Thanks Jess- they're great.

    Yay Tracey! I haven't even read everything in my advice folder (though I have read all of these). But I have a lot of things there waiting for when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.