Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Candor and Review of No Passengers Beyond this Point

If you've noticed me missing around the blog world lately-  (and perhaps you haven't, which is cool) it's because I'm happily spending all my extra time clattering at keyboards.

I'm moving through a new book so I can send it out for feedback.

I will be in Boston at the end of this week for some events surrounding the law school graduation of a kid I used to babysit!


I will practice candor in Boston, and report back to you on Saturday or Sunday.


But before I go I MUST lay some CANDOR on your right now, and tell you about a fantastic MG book I read last week.


No Passengers Beyond this Point by Gennifer Choldenko

Tiny synopsis: India, Finn, and Mouse have to move to Colorado to live with Uncle Red when their mom loses her house to foreclosure. But when they arrive in Falling Bird, it's more like Oz than Colorado. They try to get a handle on this alternative world where cell phones don't work and there are all kinds of rules they simply don't understand.


I can't go on or I will totally spoil it. But trust me, THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD! I dreamed about this book after I finished it, and I am still thinking about it a week later.

In a nutshell, what I liked most was:

  • the three highly distinctive, utterly believable voices of the siblings telling the story, and
  • the world building. Choldenko nails that element where you make it authentic and logical, yet keep the reader guessing about just what is going on.


Read this book!

Even if you don't usually like MG, I am telling you: Read this book!

You won't regret it.

12 comments:

  1. *adds to TBR list* Can't ignore a recommendation like that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'll be in Boston later this week too! Well, by Boston I mean Logan. And then I go a little further north to visit some friends in NH. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! I can't handle another book on the TBR. So... many...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read about this place that is like Oz. On to the TBR pile it goes. 'Nuff said.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation. My current wip is MG so I've been reading MG books lately. Always good to see people spreading the word about MG books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it Holly. I'd love to hear what you think when you read it.

    Cool Meredith! I will not be at Logan-- this is pure road trip. :0)

    I know Alicia-- it's kind of overwhelming sometimes. I think I've got to start breaking up with my TBR pile. "It's not me, it's you."

    It's a really cool book Sophia! Pls read it and let me know what you think!

    Yes! Carrie- MG is pretty awesome. I've gotten some good recs lately on MG books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the great review! I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH, that book sounds FASCINATING. Another for the TBR. Good luck with your writing and Candor-ing. :) Have fun at commencement! I was just at one and it made me get all nostalgic. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recommend! I'll definitely check it out. Have fun in Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adored this book, too, Katharine.

    I was lucky enough to meet the author, who said the idea came out of nowhere and she just kept typing!

    Would love to chat with you by email about it. Especially what you thought of the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elle- Boston was AWESOME!

    Joanne- let's chat!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.