Saturday, April 2, 2011

What I Meant to Read in March

March was a great reading month for me. I was able to squeeze in some gems.

What my Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonya Sones
Wake by Lisa McMann
13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A Killing Frost by John Marsden
Prisoners in the Palace by Michaela MacColl
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie
The Time Machine by HG Wells

You may be asking, "What ever happened to Katharine reading a book she'd always meant to read ?"

Or maybe this is not something you've been losing sleep over?

Does this awesome poster ring a bell?




 Yes, I pledged to read a book I 'always meant to read': Tess of the d'Urbevilles.


The truth is, I started it, and I'm still reading it. 


I am not giving up on this. 

I promise.


I think it was sophomore year in HS when we were supposed to read Tess. Reading it now, it seems even more ludicrous that such a laborious read would be foisted on sixteen year olds (see how reading a classic makes you talk all fancy?)


In HS I never finished Tess. I am SURE that I didn't even understand the whole Maiden/Maiden No More thing. I was really, really kinda slow back then. I am certain I failed our quiz on the reading, and that was the end of me and Tess.


Or so I thought. 

I am about halfway through the reread, and I am enjoying it much more than I anticipated. It is heart-wrenching. I would recommend it for anyone writing about rape. The language is difficult at times, the descriptions are beautiful but a little long-winded, but Hardy makes Tess' anguish so palpable, so gutting, so real.

It is amazing to me that a man of any era, but particularly that one, could capture it the way he does. 

So- it will happen, but it didn't happen in March. I did read The Time Machine which I've always meant to read, too. It BLEW MY MIND. If you are writing dystopian I could not recommend it more. At 32,000 words it packs a mighty punch.




And, for a completely different theme: who fell for Gmail "motion" yesterday?




3 comments:

  1. Wow - your March list really is awesome (in number and content!)-and I so admire your determination :)

    PS Gmail motion!!?@!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene- it was an april fools joke- an invitation on the google dashboard announcing the beta version of "google motion". It's a way to check email by doing these funny gestures in front of your computer screen. They had fake scientific quotes backing it up-- it was pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with Tess. I had to read it before my freshman year of high school. I can't remember a thing, except the pain of reading a book way beyond my years in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.