Sunday, April 17, 2011

Versatility

Thanks to Sophia Richardson and also Katie Upperman for passing on the Versatile Blogger Award.

Here are the rules of the award:
1. Thank the person who gave you this award (of course!).
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass the award along to 10 bloggers who you have recently discovered and who you think are fantastic for whatever reason.
4. Contact the bloggers you’ve picked and let them know about the award.




Seven things about me:

1. I share a birthday with Bronson Pinchot (Balki!), Mindy Cohn (Natalie!), Busta Rhymes, Cher, Balzac, and Jimmy Stewart. Don't lie- that would be an awesome party.


2. I'm the youngest of three girls. My husband is the youngest of nine (4 girls, 5 boys). We are both totally "the babies" of the family. 


3. My birthday was the date of death for Lorenzo de' Medici (1503), Christopher Columbus (1506), Clara Shumann (1896), Gilda Radner (1989), and Stephen Jay Gould (2002). According to wikipedia, nobody famous died on May 20th in 1974, the year I was born.


4. I just ordered 25 silkworm moth eggs and am rearing them. Sorry if that grosses you out. I got inspired when I picked up Project Mulberry by Linda Sue Park at my son's book fair last year. You can get ONE MILE of silk thread from one cocoon. Anybody really into sewing? I can hook you up... in about 4 months. 
 

5. I lived in the Netherlands for five years and maintain an unhealthy addiction to stroopwafles. Seriously, they are like crack.  I loved the biking and the home birth in the NL. I miss my friends there  but not so much the wet weather. 
 

6. You read that right, I had both my boys at home sans drugs. I loved it. The most excellent trade off was not having to go anywhere after. It was bliss. The Dutch system also provides a home nurse who stays for a week. She does the shopping, cooking, cleaning, cares for older kids, and teaches parents how to take care of a newborn.



7. I love seeing outdated and enormous mobile phones in old movies. It never fails to crack me up.


I'd love to pass this along-- so if you read the blog and would like to take on the Versatile Blogger award, please do. If you have it already or don't do awards, no pressure. 

5 comments:

  1. I am super impressed that you had two kids sans drugs! That was my plan for my daughter, but it wound up she never turned and was still posterior, so all it took was about 20 minutes of back labor to change my mind on the drug-free plan. Maybe with baby #2!

    Also, those waffles look amazing.

    Also again, have you read Middlesex? There's a whole story line in it about silk worms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The youngest of nine, wow. Gotta say, digging the home nurse for a week idea, score one for the Dutch.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, everything you shared was fantastic, but what really stood out was that the Dutch PROVIDE AN IN HOME NURSE FOR THE WEEK FOLLOWING THE BIRTH OF YOUR BABY?! Wow... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith- yikes. I can't imagine. I hope you get to try it! Yes- I loved Middlesex- what a great book. Eugenides is the man.

    Totally Sophia.

    Thanks Trisha!

    Katy- I am telling you, it was the most incredible thing EVER. Especially b/c we were far from friends and family. But everyone gets it-- totally for free, from your healthcare service: 8 hours a day, for a week after the birth.

    They really help new parents troubleshoot everything (nursing, bathing the baby, sleep) and they give health checks to the baby. I think this would be THE BEST idea as a business- can't you see that as a shower present?

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.