Saturday, April 16, 2011

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Just finished reading Melina Marchetta's The Piper's Son. 




Tiny synopsis: 
Tom is falling apart. 
He has crashed and burned. 
When tragedy hits his family they collapse in on themselves. Now they're all orbiting around their problems, none of them dealing with them head on. Young Tom is on his own, and he's not doing well. He's abandoned friends, love, school, and family. Almost everyone has given up on him. Now he has to pick himself up, as well as save his parents, his Aunt, his ex, and his friendships. 

But it's not looking so good.


AHH!


I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. Seriously. 


Writing the synopsis was so difficult, and it's hard to talk about it without giving things away. Tom is utterly heartbreaking as a character. He's stubborn, fierce, and vulnerable all at once. You want him to do the right thing, and he doesn't about 50% of the time. You are in anguish as you watch him mess up. Then you realize that his whole family is the same way. 


I cried and cried over the last chapters. It was heartbreaking, uplifting, and riveting. So well written, such a beautiful story, such lovely characters. They pole vaulted off the page and into my heart.


Please. Read it.

3 comments:

  1. I've been dying to read this (well, really anything by Marchetta) after reading Jellicoe Road. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm going to grab it and take it away with me on holiday. I love her work--Looking for Alibrandi was one of the defining books of my generation when we were in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting, might have to add it to my TBR list.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.