Wednesday, April 20, 2011

RTW: your kiss is on my list

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


This Week's Topic:
Compare your first kiss with your favorite character's first kiss!


Hmmm. Uh, is it terrible that I'm not sure I remember my first kiss? I mean, I remember the first kiss with what I consider a "real" boyfriend... but technically I think my first kiss was on a dare with a neighbor.


I don't think I've read anyone lauding the magic of a "first kiss on a dare with a neighbor". That's probably because these kinds of kisses are by their very nature quick, awkward, and not all that passionate. 


As you are probably tired of me mentioning, some of my favorite books are old, and therefore the MCs have passion, but not necessarily immediate physical passion. Jane Eyre, the second Mrs. deWinter in Rebecca-- these girls had more complicated romances. I think also, I didn't read these books for the physical passion. It's probably there, but I didn't really note it. There's just so much else going on.




Please tell me, is there an awkward "first kiss on a dare with a neighbor" scene that I'm missing?


I need to know about it!


Visit the Highway to see the other responses!

19 comments:

  1. I think you should write in an awkward first kiss with a neighbor! Although, technically Georgia had one in Angus, Thongs, & Full Frontal Snogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember exactly what book I read that had something similar to this, but I remember someone writing a character's first kiss on the playground or something similar! You are not alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I can't remember one like that. Though Icountwords had a great neighbor love story for RTW. It was adorable, though not awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost went to Jane Eyre on mine as well! But somehow mentioning her in a blog about Ron Weasley and Lavender Brown just didn't seem right.

    For me, the most passionate scenes in books usually don't even involve kissing. (Mr. Rochester, anyone?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm how happy am I right now that I'm not the only one with an awkward first kiss?! Mine was truth or dare in the back of a schoolbus freshman year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a dare, but my first kiss prior to my first boyfriend was with my neighbour aged 8 :P NOT good! He used to say we'd get married aged 18. Hmmmm... he's a bit late with the engagement ring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha - my first kiss was with my neighbor and it was totes magical.

    http://icountwords.blogspot.com/2011/04/abbreviation-of-my-first-love-story.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should TOTALLY write that scene--I'd want to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, dare kisses... they hold a magic in their awkward shortness. hehehe. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should write the scene--it's so real to life.

    Rebecca and Jane. Two of the greatest heroines!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine was cringe-worthy. Would've thought time would soft-focus lens that memory. Sadly no.

    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete
  12. If there isn't one out there, you should get on that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've got a great first kiss story there! A first kiss on a dare with a neighbor would make a great scene, and I'd bet you could really write that and make it an awesome one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Write that awkward "kiss on a dare" scene!
    Thank you for reminding me again that I need to read Rebecca. You'd think I'd remember it when I'm perusing the bookstore, but nope! {adds to TBR list}

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom told me her first kiss was with a friend just to find out what it was like...you're not alone. I think YA needs more scenes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My same-age cousin Preston kissed me when I was 15. My brothers and Preston had gone squirrel hunting, and I was helping him skin the poor thing. I think the whole experience was thrown off by the poor squirrel's limp bloody body.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a WIP with an awkward neighbor kiss, but it takes place at Disneyland on Pirates of the Carribean. :)

    I am POSITIVE you're not alone with your unmemorable first kiss. I think they're mostly bad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh man, I'm excited! I'm reading Jane Eyre right now, and I can't wait to read about Jane and Mr. Rochester kissing... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your first kiss story! If there isn't a kiss like that in a book then there should be :)

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.