Wednesday, April 13, 2011

RTW: the memory of the scar

WOW! The 75th Road Trip is upon us.




Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.


We'd love for you to participate! Just answer the prompt on your own blog and leave a link - or, if you prefer, you can include your answer in the comments.





This Week's Topic: What is the story of your best scar?
 
 
When the door smacked into my face I heard a pop. I saw a burst of light as the pain radiated through my skull. Before long the trail of blood was running into my eye. It took my sisters about 30 seconds to start laughing at me, despite the dripping blood.

No, I wasn't in the process of performing a heroic deed.
I'd not just saved an animal, child or elderly person from impending danger.
I wasn't experiencing the negative aspects of an abusive relationship.
I hadn't been fighting with my two sisters.


I'd been checking out Dude (his real name) a bagger at the Valdosta Piggly Wiggly, circa 1987.


My trips to the grocery store were only about one thing in those days: finding Dude, and checking him out. Trying to catch his eye. Every day I hoped he'd smile at me, want to talk to me. Maybe he would try to find out who I was, like I'd found out who he was. I wanted nothing more than to have him notice me.


On that day, when I, staring dreamily at Dude, opened the car door into my face, I wondered for a split second if this would be the day. Maybe today, when I didn't actually want him to look at me, he finally would.


Even a minivan door to the face did not spark a connection between me and Dude. In fact, I never talked to him. I still haven't talked to him. But I have a scar, in my right eyebrow, that reminds me of a hot day at the Piggly Wiggly, and a young girl who was dying to fall in love, but would have to wait a few years.


What's your best scar story? Go to the Highway and see them all. Add your own!

Oh, and I finally jumped into the whole twitter thing, though I have no idea what I'm doing right now. Here's my id for future reference. Tell me if I'm making glaring errors please! 


 






 

27 comments:

  1. Great story! Probably it was good for your poor, young ego that he didn't look at you in your moment of embarrassment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I assume your sisters knew exactly why it happened? No wonder they were laughing.

    Also, I know it never feels that way at the time, but I think those unattainable crushes save many girls from the world of grief they'd find if they fell in love too young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I love it! What a great story--though I was hopin' you'd have a happier ending. ;) Ah well, whoever Dude at the Piggly Wiggly was, he has left literal battle wounds behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, young love and the scars they leave on us!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute story! My exciting scars are from chicken pox - so I'll pass on the story telling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omigod- what a great story & I loved how you wrote it like a true story! I can't believe it's real--this would make a good piece for a YA short story collection. Dude- what an awesome name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Quita! Perfect as a short story! And the only thing that would make this story more perfect if Dude's name was The Dude! Hilarious! Glad you were okay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dude is his real name?? I don't know whether to be horrified or impressed. But either way, that's an awesome story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. I can't stop laughing. You're lucky he didn't decide that was the day to talk because of that whole minivan door in face thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha ha ha. Thank goodness nothing happened between you two. Nothing good can come of dating a boy named Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Even a minivan door to the face did not spark a connection between me and Dude."

    That made me literally LOL! (LLOL?)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Admit it--you totally have plans to use that in a book. If you haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! Yes - you should so use this in a story. And totally have a character named Dude - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true Kaitlin.

    Jennifer- my sisters saw it all, and thought it was hilarious.

    Susan- looking back I can't imagine a happier ending than the one I have now.

    So true Sophia!

    carolyn- still exciting in its own way. So few kids actually "get" chicken pox now.

    Quita- I could not make this up. And, actually named DUDE. I still can't believe it.

    Abby- LOL. I wish it was THE Dude. Could've been a totally different story. White Russians at the Pig!

    Meredith- I'm afraid so.

    Alicia- I know- I got off easy. What if he HAD seen and told everyone?

    Tracey- you are so right. HA! It was doomed from the get-go.

    Kate- LLOL! Love it. I should be thankful I guess.

    angelica- I will now. I love a good dork-out scene.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that Dude worked at Piggly Wiggly!!! What an adorable story! This would make such a wonderful scene in a YA. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alison- very funny. I will have to name a character Dude. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. lara- you can't make it up. The Pig is a big part of my childhood/teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so great. I mean, not for you so much, but in general. Such a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dude? For real? The kind of guy I'm imagining is the kind of guy who'd still be bagging groceries at the same store today... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic story! Those unrequited teenage crushes do leave scars, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such a sweet story! The agony of teenage crushes summed up by taking a car door to the head.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome to Twitter! I've jumped over to follow you. Also, I think I spy a new photo? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH MY GOSH!! You know that is the BEST STORY EVER!! I laughed ALL over again reading your HI-larious recant. My kids love this story too, btw!! HAHAHAH!! You made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Funny story! I had a guy try to impress me on the ski hill by spraying me with snow. Instead he fell and caught my face with his blade. I don't have a scar, but I did have a black eye for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scar stories rule! Super psyched you are on twitter. Now I will go find you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think the most interesting thing about my 3 major scars are that I got them all with one girl. It's not that she's a bad influence, just that I have too much fun with her, I think. Anyway, I have an award for you over here!
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Megan!

    Rachel- My sister reports that he's a dentist now! So the Pig job was really a stepping stone to much bigger things!

    Totally Rebecca.

    Amen, Miss Cole. Just as painful as a crush.

    Thanks Amie- yep, new pic. Though I fear it looks like I'm slowly falling...

    Thanks Lizzie. You were there, enjoying the painful moment with me. Glad you liked it.

    OMG Elle- not good!

    Thanks Christa.

    OK- cool Sophia, I'll go check it out!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.