Sunday, April 3, 2011

Review: The Ghost and the Goth

Okay. Erinn was about 150% right on this one (not that I doubted it). She has been recommending The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade for months.

Trusting Erinn as I do, I knew I would check it out eventually. I went to the YA section of my library on Saturday (joy! except for having to stand near the cheesy neon sign that says "Teen Reads!") and found it was in.

I devoured it Saturday while my husband watched the whatevers play the whoevers in some sport.

Tiny synopsis: Alona Dare has it all-- except a life. She was the homecoming queen (without the heart of gold) and head cheerleader until she accidentally walked in front of a bus. Now she has to watch everyone who  worshiped her move on without her. Then she notices something strange. Some freak (as she'd put it) that she has never given the time of day can see her. Can talk to her. He can, but will he?
Will Killian is the goth, and he's biding his time until he can get out of high school and move somewhere with fewer ghosts. Their constant chatter is making him crazy. His only defense is that they don't know he can see and hear them. Alona is on to him, and now all the other ghosts in town realize his gift. Can Will survive high school without getting committed for seeing dead people?

Please read this book. You will not regret it. This book is adorable. I am not typically a paranormal reader, so without Erinn's rec I may not have found it on my own. The characters are fab-- stellar voice. Alona is awfully bitchy but somehow still endearing. You root for her from the first moment. Will is a swoon-and-a-half. Nothing like a sensitive, misunderstood fella who also happens to have killer biceps. Their chemistry is sweet, with some serious sparks. This book also features a great little mystery that keeps you moving through the story. It has some serious themes, but never gets bogged down in them.

Read this book. Love this book.

11 comments:

  1. See, who's amazing at book recommendations. This chick!

    It was one of my favorite books of 2010 and I'm SUPER excited for the sequel.

    I might have send a few fan e-mails to Stacey Kade.

    I"m so glad you liked it! Happy dance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard The Ghost and the Goth recommended before but I'm not seeing it in my bookmarks, I'll have to add it to my TBR list! Thanks for the review and the reminder, KO.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would read this book based on the cover and title alone. Your glowing recommend puts it at the top of the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check it out Sophia!

    Can't wait to hear what you think Kari!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so fun. I hope they have it at my library too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is cracking me up! I'd probably read on that alone ... nice review!

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never read YA books, but I sometimes listen to goth-metal, Lacuna Coil and Theatre of Tragedy and Type O Negative and that kind of stuff, so I can sense the athmosphere >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Cold As Heaven - I think you and I should be musical friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gah, not available on Kindle in Australia! Alas! I'll have to get it the old-fashioned way.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.