Friday, April 1, 2011

My list of 100 books

You may recall an earlier post about Claire's goal to collect data on 100 must-read books.

I had a lot of fun compiling my list (what are Sunday mornings for!?)

So I thought I would share it with you.

Her goal was to create a list of books that writers felt writers MUST read. But... I think my list morphed into more of "my 100 favorite books right now".

Check out my list below.

What have I forgotten? Who have I inadvertently missed? I know there are some books that didn't come to mind.

Let me know what you think or even better- make your own list and share it with Claire.


 
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Outsiders by SE Hinton
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark
The Butterfly Revolution by William Butler
To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
My Sweet Audrina VC Andrews
Flowers in the Attic VC Andrews
Hoot by Carl Hiassan
Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
About a Boy by Nick Hornby
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
The Diary of Anne Frank
Feed by MT Anderson
The Collector by John Fowles
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Are you there god? It’s me Margaret by Judy Blume
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis
Never let me go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
The Ruby in the Smoke by Phillip Pulman
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Stolen by Lucy Christopher
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
The Golden Compass Phillip Pullman
The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy
White Oleander by Janet Fitch
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Time Machine by HG Wells
Persuasion by Jane Austen
On Writing by Steven King
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
1984 by George Orwell
Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
How to Ruin Your Summer Vacation by Simone Eikeles
The Password to Larkspur Lane by Carolyn Keene
Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
How to Be Popular by Meg Cabot
Tiger eyes by Judy Blume
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff
Tomorrow When the War Began series by John Marsden
The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch
Sophie Kinsella Twenties Girl
Dirty Little Secrets by CJ Omololu
Shiver by Maggie Steifvater
Harry Potter 1
Harry Potter 2
Harry Potter 3
Harry Potter 4
Harry Potter 5
Harry Potter 6
Harry Potter 7
Tess of the D’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
A supposedly fun thing I’ll never do again by David Foster Wallace
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Their eyes were watching god by Zora Neale Hurston
A Christmas carol by Dickens
Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor
The Story of Ferdinand the Bull by Munro Leaf
Night by Elie Wiesel
Charleston by Alexandra Ripley
Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier
We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families: Stories from Rwanda by Phillip Gourevitch
Maus I by Art Spiegelman
Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
The Joy Luck Club by Amie Tan
Cradle to Cradle by Braungart and McDonough
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver
The Alienist by Caleb Carr
Fraud by David Rakoff
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
A light in the attic by Shel Siverstein
The Butter Battle Book by Dr Seuss
The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan
The Heart of a Woman by Maya Angleou
The Mysteries of Harris Burdick Chris Van Allsburg
First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung
The House at Sugar Beach by Helene Cooper
Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball
The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie
The Hounds of the Baskervilles Arthur Conan Doyle
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
The Stand by Stephen King
Lady Sings the Blues by Billie Holliday
The Bible (My favorite is still the Picture Bible)
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

Now you must be thinking "but what about_______?"

Let me know who I'll be embarrassed to have missed in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. That's quite a list. I don't think I can come up with 100 must reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list! I have read many of them, and will have to look at the others.
    Please check out my blog "B is for..." since I think you'd appreciate the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice list! I haven't had time to think of 100, but lots of what I would put are on yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine how long that took you to compile.

    I was about to write, "But what about A Prayer for Owen Meany" when I saw it up there. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good list. I admit I haven't read everything on there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an eclectic list! Nice job, Katharine! I've read some, but by no means all of yours. And I've never heard of a few.

    I would add: HOLES, CHARLOTTE'S WEB, THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH, MANIAC MAGEE, HUNGER GAMES, THE BOOK THIEF. I could go on and on!

    And for adult books: SOPHIE'S WORLD, THE SUN ALSO RISES, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE, etc.

    If we all did this, we could easily come up with at least a thousand books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you forgot The Thornbirds. It sold an awful lot of copies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an amazing list! You've got some of my favorites up there. I'll second Joanne and say that both HOLES and CHARLOTTE'S WEB are must reads. As is JELLICOE ROAD, one I recently read and fell completely in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It snowballs Alicia

    Susan- can't wait to check it out.

    Carolyn- Claire is collecting for at least a month, so there's time if you're interested.

    Tracey- it was fun, and goes more quickly than you'd think.

    Angela- whenever I read anyone else's list I say the same thing.

    Joanne! You are indeed a bookseller! WOW- you are right, there are tons I am missing. That's a good problem to have, IMHO.

    SCheherazade- I have to admit, I haven't read that... but I have had it recommended to me. I must remedy this!

    Carrie- Carl Hiassen is so great. I love him.

    Katy- Jellicoe road is literally next to my bed... but I've been trying to get through another book first.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great list. There are so many wonderful books on this list.
    I'm not sure I could do this. I do like seeing how many of the BBC list of 100 books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me too- I love when those lists, on FB, or in emails or whatever, get passed around.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.