Saturday, April 30, 2011

I Dig Reading April Update

April, like all months, was a good book month for me. I've been trying to move through the  TBR pile (who isn't) so I can clear out some major time to dawdle over the Game of Thrones books. Mock if you must, but I am new to the literary fantabulousness that is GRR Martin. I have only read the first book.


The only way I can make myself feel better about not having HBO is by reading the books as if they've just been published. #ignoranceisbliss




Here's what I read in April. 
Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough and Michael Braungart (non fiction). Excellent enviro book!


Mockingbird by Daisy Whitney, I recommend it. 


The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade (who rocks all kinds of Casbahs). She twifriended me and so I think she hung the moon. Oh, and her book is excellent. 


Dreamland by Sarah Dessen. She is reliable and good as gold.


Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta. Stunning. I cried and CRIED. 


A Load of Old Ball Crunchers: women in history by Jo Brand. This was a comedy book from the early nineties and felt a little dated. But I love her, and want to check out her fiction next. 


Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm, I recommend it. Great setting in the FL keys and it made me nostalgic for childhood adventure.


and The Giver and Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. Gah- I can't say enough. Such. Great. Books. 


If you're keeping track, and I'm not saying anyone needs to be... I am STILL working my way through Tess of the D'urbevilles. It's just depressing me so to watch Tess walk into these horrible situations that I know she has NO WAY of overcoming. 


Poor old sad Tess. So beautiful, so envied, and so irretrievably messed up. 


That makes 9 books for me in April, which according to my self-imposed rules, means $45.00 to the charity of my choice. You may remember that I over-gave in March because of all of the worldwide disasters that needed immediate attention, so I will not pick a new charity this month. 


I'll be back in May with more books, more reading, and more giving.


If you'd like to join the I Dig Reading Challenge, check out the details and sign on! You can choose to give at any level, and to any organization that you'd like to support. 




12 comments:

  1. isn't THE PIPER'S SON completely utterly gorgeous?

    great reading list!

    x Nomes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needs more George R. R. Martin! Apart from that, which I had to get in to keep my fantasy cred, I'm digging this list.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Giver. I've been thinking I need to read it again.
    This is such a great thing because there is so much need in the world right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nomes-- it was incredible. Man oh man-- I think I cried seven different times at the end of that book. LOVED it.

    Sophia- I'm already diving in to book two.

    Carrie- I can't stop recommending the Giver. Thank you-- I definitely pay attention to worldwide crises more because of this. It's sad, though, b/c you realize something terrible happens every single month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES THE GHOST AND THE GOTH! And Stacey Kade ROCKS. I think I must check out Melina Marchetta's contemp books; her fantasy Finnikin of the Rock didn't sell me, but I guess I must try on her other genres. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have something other than insects for you to collect :) come by my blog to see what!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nine books! You're a rock star! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about Tess. You just want to jump into the book and help her, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yahong- I'm the opposite- I've only looked at her contemp, and it's really fantastic.

    Thank you Caitlin! That's great!

    Meredith- thank you-- I've been reading more than writing this past month.

    Carrie, so so true. It's painful to watch and not be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! I can't believe April is over already. I'm going to have to update my list for the challenge and choose a charity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been meaning to check out Mockingbirds, so thanks for putting it back on my radar! I need to read the Giver too.

    I'm in the same boat as you. I have a giant TBR pile that I need to make a dent in before I'll allow myself to start reading Game of Thrones. (And don't worry, I'm new to the wagon too!) I'm watching the show, which interested me in the books but I'm still kinda flip-flopping between whether or not I want to know what happens next before I see it.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.