Friday, April 8, 2011

Friday Five with Paper Hangover


I am thrilled to take part in Paper Hangover's first Friday Five!

They have been doing fantastic flash-writing projects every Friday, but because of work I haven't been able to participate. With the Friday Fives, I can. Woot!


Here's the question: What five things do YOU wish you'd known before you became a writer?

1. Mistakes are okay, as long as you learn from them. 
I look back on the first query I sent and I cringe uncontrollably. 

It was for a book that was 20,000 words. 

I know!!! Now, stop laughing. Okay, you can keep laughing. It's funny. 

I think it's okay to be a newbie- everyone was once. At the same time, there is SO much information out there available on the web for free. If you fail to use that information you become a disaster. So, start a newbie, but then educate yourself.


2. Feedback from family and friends can be helpful, especially in the beginning when you need to gain confidence, but it's not enough. 

That leads me to #3....


3. You need to reach out to other writers for criticism and support. The earlier the better.


4. Writing is re-writing. 
Your first version and the final version can be months, even years apart.


5. It's more work than you think, but it's worth it.

Visit Paper Hangover and join in the FUN!

19 comments:

  1. Mistakes are okay. I recite that one ever so often. Thanks for participating! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Sometimes what the head thinks isn't exactly what the fingers type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I agree with every one of these, especially it's going to be harder than you think it is. But you're right that it's completely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent list! Everyone who wants to be a writer should take them to heart. Thanks for participating, Kat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! Thank you SOO much for participating. Oh, and I really can't stress about how you need to let more writers see your work--especially someone who writes in the same genre as you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list. All of these things are so important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The writing and re-writing is one that I have to keep reminding myself. I have project ADHD so I'll finish a WIP -revise it once and move on to the next. I'm working on this though, I'm about to go back and re-vamp my historical b/c like you said, writing is re-writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So. Many. Mistakes. I cringe just thinking about what I did a year ago. But as you said, the importance is to just keep learning and moving forward with your craft. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely 2 and 3! I like having betas of each type -- my mom, who's my biggest fan and thinks every word I write is gold, helps keep my confidence up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still coming to grips with #4. Why can't these things just write themselves! Good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strangely enough even though my first novel was one big rookie mistake, I never thought about it in those terms. I always look back at it with tender love and think it was good practice. Maybe one day I'll try to salvage the characters from their plotless mire.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Being afraid of making mistakes can be terribly paralyzing -- knowing that it's okay to make mistakes because you can learn from them is very liberating.

    Thanks for participating in Friday Fives!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen. This is all SO true...and these were all things I had to learn by doing. :)

    Great list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I completely agree with all of these...especially about reaching out to other writers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I queried a 145k chick lit!!! Yep, you need to learn from your mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list! I don't even want to think about my first query...FAR TOO SCARY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks guys for sharing your cringe moments, too!!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.