Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Buzz of Love

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's question: If your WIP(s) or favorite book(s) were a song, which song would they be?


I don't often listen to music when I'm writing, mainly because I want as few necessary accessories as possible. I steal an hour here and there throughout the week to write. It could be sitting outside with my kids while they play in the treehouse or waking up at 5 AM and sneaking downstairs before they wake up. I feel like if I get into a pattern where I "have" to have music to write it could be problematic.


I want my only need, when it comes to writing, to be a journal or a computer. 


That being said, I do think of music when I think about my WIPs and characters.


For the book The Insect Collector, my go-to song is Buggin' by the Flaming Lips. Check out a live version here.

{It doesn't show up in my Mozilla browser, but does when I go into other browsers...Anyone know why?}






"All those bugs buzzin round your head.
...well they fly in the air as you comb your hair"

Yes, it's about bugs-- but that's not the only reason it fits.

It also will always sound like new love and summer to me, probably because my husband made a CD for me with this song on it when we were falling in love.


For my WIP Swamped, my MC Jess -- if he were a song-- would be Ben Fold's Five Song for the Dumped, found here





He spends a lot of the book angry about life and licking his wounds after being dumped, which fits to a "t". This is such a great angry-boy song!


Can you encapsulate one of your books or characters as a song or album? What about a book you love?


Visit the Highway to see the other responses!

22 comments:

  1. Aww that is so sweet that your husband put that song on a CD for you! And that Ben Fold's song is great! My MC the The Blues is kinda an angry fella too so I chose a Slipknot song...I hope I don't scare too many people :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the post title. Love it. I want to read your angry boy book!

    My WIPs always have a theme song. My most recent is Pitbull inspired. Sad - but true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buggin' sounds pretty perfect for you! ;) I love that your husband put it on a CD for you. That's a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both The Flaming Lips and Ben Folds. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of those songs. And I love that the Ben Folds song is called The Dumped while your character was just dumped. Even more perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm having such a good time discovering all these songs I never heard of before--thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH Ben Folds is SUCH a great way to get into a boy frame of mind! His songs are always amazing. Love these two songs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ben Folds is pretty awesome. Great songs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great choices. ben folds is pretty awesome. and i, too, am not a listen to music while i write kind of girl, but it definitely inspires me to write :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices.

    When I'm writing I try to listen to the type of music I think my characters would like (as opposed to music with lyrics similar to my storyline).

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute that your husband put that on a CD for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great choices, especially since you have a romantic connection to Buggin'! And I can totally see why Ben Folds Five fits SWAMPED.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a perfect song for you you...and your book, it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love "song for the dumped," in original recorded form or ridiculously sad live form.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, Song For The Dumped reminds me SO MUCH of my 2nd year of college. Love Ben Folds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your choices!

    For my book it would be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM

    The song isn't a literal interpretation, but tonally it's pretty spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your bugs song! I hardly ever listen to music anymore except at the gym. After a few years of teaching I just wanted SILENCE in my free time :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww that's so sweet! I love how songs can be related so closely to our memories.

    ReplyDelete
  20. *sigh* I loved mixed CDs/tapes/playlists.

    And I have a ridiculous amount for the William Shatner/Ben Folds cover of "Common People."

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.