Sunday, March 20, 2011

A week of reviews day five (wake)

Wake by Lisa McMann


Janie gets sucked into dreams. If someone is near her, and they fall asleep, she is pulled in and observes the dream. She feels it, whether she wants to or not-- scary, sad, or funny. She dreams with you.

As super powers go, this probably wouldn't make my list. After reading this book...definitely not.

Give me the ability to fly any day. I don't want to be in people's dreams.

Janie has a hard life. Her mom is an alcoholic with very few moments of warmth toward her. Her father is absent. She is dirt-poor. Money doesn't solve problems, but not having adequate clothes and things can make life harder for a teenager. Despite everything stacked against her, Janie keeps trudging through life.

The book is not sunny. It's gritty. Janie is really trapped by her "power" if you will. It takes her a long time to work to control it in various ways. Even when she works hard and has good things happen to her in life, I found myself worrying about her.

I thought the love story was real and sweet in its own way. I felt myself taking on the persona of Janie, though, I worried about her trusting anyone. She'd gotten a raw deal so often, I was petrified every time she opened herself up.

There were some funny moments as Janie experiences the dreams of her teenage colleagues-- the falling dreams, the naked in front of the class dreams. There are also some poignant dreams at the nursing home where she works. Janie did not get sucked into my personal recurring dream: where all my teeth fall out. Ugh. I hate that one.

But what a fascinating premise. It has a GREAT potential for mysteries and intrigue. I look forward to seeing what the rest of the books are all about.

I recommend this book.

Interesting trivia-- I check book lengths sometimes, and this one was 36,700 words. What do you think of that?


Do you have a recurring dream?

Did you read Wake? What did you think of it?

8 comments:

  1. I've had that dream where I can feel my teeth wanting to fall out but thankfully they never actually do. It's a horrible feeling. My recurring dreams are of the flying (and sometimes falling) or being chased variety, I'm not sure any passengers would appreciate either.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY want to read this book! ive heard some seriously awesome things 'bout it. the whole dream-watcher thing sound super creepy, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, great review! i love how simple your reviews are, yet so effective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any recurring dreams now but when I was pregnant I had all sorts of different dreams involving bacon! It was crazy!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a recurring dream that m teeth fall out -- just my top canines, though. Freaks me out every time.

    I haven't read Wake--it sounds really interesting. You know the writer's doing well when you start cringing in anticipation of hurt when a character opens up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally Sophia- the teeth falling out is a rough one.

    Thanks Aleeza- I'd love to see your review of the book once you read it.

    Alisa- funny! Bacon dreams! Does your child love bacon?

    Amie- totally freaky dream. And you are so right about good writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have recurring dreams but have recurring motifs, like travelling, the same arguments over and over etc. Some of them are at the point now where even in my dream I think - oh right, here is this dream bit again! This book is so high on my TBR list, but in all the bookshops I go into they only ever have books 2 and 3 - annoying! I should just buy it online already, but it always seems to be that once I give myself permission to open up the bookdepository site I somehow end up buying 10 books instead of just the one I meant to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes mummazappa- once you start buying... it's hard to not go a little crazy. That is funny about the recurring motifs.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.