Sunday, March 6, 2011

Steam Punk + Kids Teaser

Inspired by the lovely Susan Dennard (who, after seeing her website, my son James refers to as the "pretty inventor"), I embarked on a steam-punk costume-making spree last weekend.

Susan makes it look easy and very cool. She provides instructions on her site on how to make a gun, goggles, and a utility belt. Here are Susan's goggles.

See now why my son is starry-eyed over her?

Okay. So I pulled my friend Izzi and her two lovely daughters into the scheme. Izzi is the mistress of all things second-hand, and she provided lots of gee-gaws for our project.

She also has a glue gun.

When I envisioned making steam punk accessories, I guess I didn't really consider my partners in crime: a two year old, a three year old, and two five year olds.

Let's just say... it's work trying to explain one's steam punk vision to this audience.

It doesn't help when our friend Jeff spent most of the time insisting we made up this whole steam punk thing.

I had fun. I hope everyone else did, too.

I am working on a steam-punk mini-comic starring the kids. I'll post it later this week.

Thanks Susan for the inspiration! We had a lot of fun.

Here's a teaser from the comic.

10 comments:

  1. those steam punk goggles are awesome.

    i am pretty hopeless at crafty things so i am most impressed that you attempted them!

    looking fwd to your mini comic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great googles. Looking forward to seeing the mini comic about this crafting adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more I'm exposed to steampunk, the more I'm becoming obsessed. Can't wait to see the mini comic and try my hand at making some accessories of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, mini-comic? Major talent, Katharine! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want my own goggles! Hehe, it sounds like you guys had too much fun! Can't want to see the mini comic. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun weekend project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE steampunk! I might just have to make myself some of those goggles. Making them with kids sure sounds like an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a lot of fun! Can't wait to see the comic and all your steampunky crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I should point out again that those are Susan's goggles, and the link on how to make your own is on my post. Ours did not turn out like that... exactly.
    @Nomes I am usually rubbish with crafts. But we had fun, anyway.
    @Carrie- It's set to post on Tuesday, as I'm doing a blogfest today.
    @Witless- definitely check out Susan's blog. She did a whole series of steampunk posts.
    @Yahong. Mini-comic sounds cooler than powerpoint... but it's kind of more like a powerpoint than a comic.
    @Madeline- you should definitely make your own!
    @Carolyn- it was. Though our final product was not as professional as Susan's, it was fun and kept the kids busy (and we bought nothing, so it was free).
    @Jess- adventure it was.
    @Carrie- check it on out Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, for whatever reason, your blog has stopped appearing in my RSS (Holly's too...weird, huh?), and I TOTALLY MISSED THIS POST!

    So first: thanks for the amazing shout out. I think I will declare myself the "pretty inventor" for the rest of my life.

    And second: I think it's so AWESOME you steampunk-ified your kids. The comic = wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.