Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This RTW is held in honor of Kirsten Hubbard's book release Like Mandarin. In Like Mandarin, 14-year-old Grace Carpenter would give anything to be like 17-year-old Mandarin Ramey -- the bold, carefree wild girl of their small Wyoming town. Answer this week's question about yourself in High School:


Well I was from the Brat Pack era, and so of course I wanted to be like Molly Ringwald (more so in 16 Candles, or Pretty in Pink than in Breakfast Club where she was too snooty) or like Ally Sheedy in St Elmo's Fire and War Games.




Where did they go to High School? It seemed like a million miles away from my football-obsessed small town. They were smart, creative (remember the dress Molly made in PinP), fun, and effortlessly cool. Even though they were held in contrast to the perfect-blond-cheerleader types, they still got the guys.

I so wanted to be them in high school. 


Visit the Highway to see how others responded!

22 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, yes! I so wanted to be Molly Ringwald in 16 Candles. I still love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice. I loved those movies. Pretty in Pink was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! I love The Breakfast Club and honestly, I see a little bit of young Molly Ringwald in your profile picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great choices! I love Breakfast Club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is embarrassing, but I've never seen a brat-pack movie *blushes*... I don't know why! I've always wanted to see sixteen candles! I need to rectify this situation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved those movies! It feels like there's a Brat Pack High, too, since they're all in the same movies. Makes it even more realistic that you could somehow join that school and be like Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looooved these movies. But her dress in PinP? Even as a teen I was like, "ummm she ruined it." A for effort though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit that Molly's hair is a cool color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 16 candles was a perfect movie I was just thinking about that last night. I think i might have even dreamed about it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the brat pack movies...and Ally Sheedy...I'd almost forgotten about her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those films. It would be great to just step through the screen and live in those worlds for a while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huge Brat Pack fan here. :) I always like Ally because she looked different from most girls in Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always wanted to be those types of girls, too -- not the cheerleaders, but the confident outcasts :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I like your choice. The confident outcast, rather than the blonde cheerleader. I was definitely more the confident outcast than the cheerleader, that's for sure. (Fellow Crusader! I just followed you.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE!!!!! The Breakfast Club is my favorite movie and I LOVE Ally Sheedy. I was a Brat Pack fanatic too. If my husband let me I'd still have C Thomas Howell pinned up on my wall. :)

    Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can never think of Molly Ringwald without thinking of the lipstick scene in The Breakfast Club. /random

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome choices! I SO wanted to be Molly Ringwald in 16 Candles. I loved her clothes and her room and Jake. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are from the same generation! Loved those movies. Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I really wanted to be like Madonna (in her earlier years). I had the bobbed hair, I wore it with a bow, the bangle bracelets, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't even tell you what she was wearing....too busy looking at the Porche. Grin - my daughter loved 16 candles way more than I did - but it was fun watching it with her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Sorry I can't reply to each-- I am sick and barely typing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wouldn't have minded being Clarissa from Clarissa Explains It All actually . . .
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.