Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Road Trip Wednesday:

Road Trip Wednesday is a "Blog Carnival," where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This weeks question: Invent your own mythological creature.

Well, it's probably not going to surprise anyone that this is an insect, right?

I didn't think so. 

My mythological creature would be something akin to the prehistoric Meganeura, which is a real thing. You could describe them as giant dragonflies.


Here's a fossil image from wikipedia.

Here are some real dragonfly images:

 What if these little guys were 20 feet long, and you could saddle them and ride them like, well, a dragon. Hmmm... dragonflies. Interesting coincidence, don't you think?

That would be my mythical creature of choice.
Real dragonflies are fast and they are fierce hunters.
I imagine these as wise and coldly calculating, with the ability to speak. 

Sounds kind of cool, doesn't it?


Visit the Highway to see how others responded!


Please check out these cool Blogfests I feel compelled to share:

March 4: Gone But Not Forgotten (5 TV shows you wish were still around) with Erinn
 It's her BIRTHDAY today, so you really SHOULD join.


March 7-8th: Catch Me If You Can. The first 550 words of your WIP for critique with Kay Kay.
March 10: My Favorite Picture Book Blogfest with the Write at Home mom.
March 11th: Post 5 things on your bucket list with Mo.

19 comments:

  1. I'd probably crap myself if I saw your creature. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one! My enemies will take me seriously if I'm riding on one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Pre-history was AWESOME. It still blows my mind that there were animals before the dinosaurs.

    Very cool and thanks for promoting all the blogfests, you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Not sure I could bring myself to ride one. Interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that. They're all pretty until they attack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting! It (slightly) reminds me of the animals the Naavi rode in AVATAR, except more dragonfly than LOTR-esque dragon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dragonflies! They are so cool and pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your passion for insects. Your giant dragon fly sounds amazing, though super scary too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah! Dragonflies are very cool. I did a short story once and researched them. They can actually fly at 60 mph! Happy Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, now that's cool! We've had an incredibly wet summer, and the weather's at least tripled the number of dragonflies locally--my husband and I counted over fifty in one place at one point. They love the swimming pool, and zoom around over it for hours (with the dogs running around the edge, chasing them). I can imagine your enormous dragonflies doing the same thing over the sea, or a lake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. Dragonflies are beautiful creatures. I love their colors and the buzz they make as they fly near. I love the image of DRAGONflies.

    <3 Gina Blechman

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dragonflies are pretty. And a really big one that people could ride on, that would be cool. Dragons are pretty much the only flying creature that people ride in fantacy (except for the occational hypogrough) because birds are to small. But your giant dragonflie shouldn't be a dragon, just a fly. No fire breathing allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I see why you thought the turkey/roach combo would be a good idea...Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha ha Alicia. Pls don't do that!

    @ Sarah, I am sure they would!

    @Erinn-- prehistory is pretty rad!

    Thx Happily. I am not sure I would ride one either, to be honest. I'm not crazy about heights.

    @Tracey- totally how I see it. Look! it's beautiful, and then BAM smackdown.

    @Abby- interesting. I haven't seen Avatar yet. I'll have to check it out.

    @Holly- they are. They are beautiful and bad as*

    @Katy- yeah, I agree. Borderline scary.

    @Carol! COOL! I love it. That explains why they're so hard to catch.

    @Amie- I can just see it. Beautiful!

    @Gina- so true. The colors are amazing.

    @Kate- I agree. The less fire breathing, the better.

    @Bailey- that's right. Not a stretch, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome creature!!
    Giant prehistoric dragonflies are planned to be incorporated if my current WIP gets to become a series (I'm so not joking!) so I am super excited that I'm not the only person who thinks they're awesome.

    Also have you read THE AMBER SPYGLASS by Philip Pullman? There are (miniature) people who ride dragonflies and it so made me want giant versions of the same thing.

    I would love your mythological creature to be real.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome Kaitlin. If my vote counts I hope it IS a series!
    You know what, I have read the Amber Spyglass, and I am totally blanking on the miniature people riding dragonflies. Where is my brain?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it! I see someone mentioned the Amber Spyglass ... Tis the season for bugs, after all! (Especially here in South Texas!)

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol - I love it - but I want one of those Blue ones - grin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I want a 20 foot flying bug pet!

    ReplyDelete

YAY for comments! Thanks for adding to the conversation.